Crystal Lake loop in the snow 03-26-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

We went up to see the lake and poke around the area since learning it was re-opened. We ended up doing a mini loop (2.8 miles).

Snow was really fresh / powder so postholing was anywhere from ankle to mid thigh. The snow on the tree's were melting so it created a bit of a rain situation when traveling under the tree's. The fog also rolled in just as we got to the lake.

Still it was fun to get out and explore the area. The snack bar was open and we got some fresh hot cocoa after the hike.

The link has all the photo's we took.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1014762
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Cool...Looks nice up there. I didnt know Crystal Lake was open. I want to go up and see Soldier Falls now. Thanks for posting this!
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Awesome, can't wait to get up there in the coming weeks.

What is the parking situation like? Is there a lot, or just roadside parking?
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Awesome, can't wait to get up there in the coming weeks.

What is the parking situation like? Is there a lot, or just roadside parking?
There was very little parking since the roads have been recently plowed and the curbs are snow walls.

There was a big section by the snack bar and another about a mile further back.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I notice that there's already graffiti on one of the signs. :evil:

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I notice that there's already graffiti on one of the signs. :evil:
HJ
It's a good thing I've never seen this happen... I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from driving a carbon fiber trekking pole through their calf.

Local overpasses - have at hit kids. They need some decoration. Stay away from my natural areas.
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

I hate tagging up in the mountains. I am glad that those taggers are only able to walk about a mile from their car though....Hehe
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Not sure if it's new-thread worthy, but does anyone know the condition of the Islip Ridge Trail (called the Wawona Trail on Tom Harrison maps) heading up to Mt Islip from the lake? Obviously it's covered in snow, but once it melts, is the trail easy enough to follow? I've read it hasn't been maintained in quite sometime, but doesn't look like too difficult an ascent anyway...
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Not sure if it's new-thread worthy, but does anyone know the condition of the Islip Ridge Trail (called the Wawona Trail on Tom Harrison maps) heading up to Mt Islip from the lake? Obviously it's covered in snow, but once it melts, is the trail easy enough to follow? I've read it hasn't been maintained in quite sometime, but doesn't look like too difficult an ascent anyway...
The last time I summited Islip (last year before the snow) I could see portions of the decent trail down into Crystal lake. The sections I could see looked traversable.

Sorry I don't have any more info on it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Not sure if it's new-thread worthy, but does anyone know the condition of the Islip Ridge Trail (called the Wawona Trail on Tom Harrison maps) heading up to Mt Islip from the lake? Obviously it's covered in snow, but once it melts, is the trail easy enough to follow? I've read it hasn't been maintained in quite sometime, but doesn't look like too difficult an ascent anyway...
I did it in 2006. Very easy to follow. I was in the snow then, off and on, so whenever I lost it, it was quickly found just a bit further up. The ridge is easy to follow.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Cool, I'll let you guys know how it is when I get up there.

Illusive, your pictures are making it extremely tough to be sitting in a cubicle right now... I might need to 'catch a cold' one day this week. :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm heading up there in an hour or so.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Show off :x
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol: