Idlehour trail camp via mt wilson toll road 03-11-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Went for an overnighter up to Idlehour trail camp. We had the place to ourselves friday night and most of saturday morning.

Interestingly there is no sign marking the idlehour trail from the wilson toll road. There is a sign regarding packing out of trash, and a small wooden bridge that marks the beginning. I'm guessing the sign was washed out since the last writing of John Robinsons latest edition of trails of the angeles which mentions it.

Water was plentiful, several small runoffs were present on the Idlehour trail and of course the river at camp.

The stream behind the camp was more of a raging river that could be heard well before decending down into the canyon.

There are several new shoots of poison oak surrounding several sections of the campgrounds, so a vigilant eye was needed as most of them dont have easily recognizable leaves on them.

We could only find 3 stoves, yet heard mention of 4 campsites. I'm guessing the 4th possible site we saw was devoid of a stove.

We managed to get a stove fire lit as the last suns rays dipped over the horizon. High humidity had made starting the fire a frustrating experience. We'd get a flame lit even several embers but couldn't keep the fire going for more than a second or so.

We tucked in for a blissful nights sleep. It got a tad colder than was forcasted, with a nighttime low in the high 30's according to our little thermostat.

All my Pics I recorded with the everytrail app can be found here:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=997089

Here's one I took of camp:

Here's my favorite photo of the trip:

MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey Jason-
Looks like a great trip. Glad it worked out well! I am eager to get up there for a night or two soon.
peace.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looking nice back there. That danged poison oak is the real down side of Idlehour. :(

HJ