Baldy Register Ridge 3-11-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It was a quiet day on Baldy. I did not encounter any other hikers until, on the way down, I met a fellow camping near the Ski Hut. It turned out that we knew each other from the local hiking message boards. Register Ridge does not have much snow at all and I easily got to the summit of Baldy with just boots. There was plenty of snow on the way down to the Hut, but it is going quickly.

Pix
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like a whole lot of melting has been going on.

So, who is that man behind the Foster Grants? 8) Is this local message board "fellow" someone we might know or is he on the lam from the law and not wanting to be identified?

HJ
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

You mean this fellow? Why that's none other than James.

Too bad we missed you Alan. I took my son on his first trip up the bowl and James was coming up with his big ol' pack as we got back to the hut.
Our pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 125281747/
(Sorry for the thread hijack--I wasn't going to post a TR.)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote: So, who is that man behind the Foster Grants? 8) Is this local message board "fellow" someone we might know or is he on the lam from the law and not wanting to be identified?
You can see from Dave's picture that they weren't Foster Grants. 8)

It was indeed James. I failed to get his picture. He did inform me that I had missed Dave and his son. Early risers! I have an excuse. I was slated to be watching a 10K race that started at 10 PM.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Ran into James today as well, he joined Ty and I for a shot up the left main bowl between the two mini-slides - as soon as he mentioned seeing Alan I just knew you were on Register Ridge yesterday :shock: I put up a TR tomorrow.
James

Post by James »

HJ: LOL, only on the lam from "civilization" (at least for a couple days). Foster Grants? Not exactly but they do the trick. :D

Alan: Great seeing you up there. A little after you left a huge fog bank moved up canyon and surrounded everything and just as quickly dissipated into nothing when the winds came up.

Dave, Great seeing you and your son up there too. Glad you guys had a chance to hike the bowl together. Very cool. Wow, judging from that photo 70spf sunscreen isn't enough for me. :o