Flood on trailcam

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

And you thought the fire video was cool: 8)

Still photos in better resolution:

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... 0Trailcam/

Here is the story - front range canyon with a crap ton of debris from the Station Fire (ala Eaton, with its pools filled in - but this is not Eaton) I set the camera to see what animals were still around (not many!). Set it to take still photos instead of video, because I'm a dumbass and thought video would use up the battery life before I could get back to the camera. (actually, it would have - but since the storm in December, no animals came by anyway because you can't walk here anymore!)

These cameras are not supposed to trigger on water. I'm not clear on how PIR sensing works exactly, but I always thought that part of it had to be a temperature difference (warm animal, cooler air).

This cam got a mud bath, though it was about 10' up on a tree. 10 FEET. The canyon at this location is about 30 feet wide. Still works though!

oh man, I want a timelapse camera now!!

PS Matt Maxon your email inbox is full
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sweet!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's a lot of water. Why can't you walk there anymore? Too much debris, etc.?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote: That's a lot of water. Why can't you walk there anymore? Too much debris, etc.?
It's still flowing really good (two months later!!)- that whole area became the creek channel again.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Oh! That's cool. Glad you were still able to retrieve the cam!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Did the camera move at all? In the original dry creek bed, you cant see the black rocks with the white bands in the back ground. It looks like the only thing that stays the same is the branch on the lower right.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

hvydrt wrote: Did the camera move at all?
Not a bit. It was screwed to the tree, as well as secured with a cable lock. I estimate the sand was about 4 to 5 feet deep throughout the creekbed, before the flood. The canyon is about 30 feet wide at this point. I can't imagine the weight and force of all that.

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I see, your picture of the creek and water fall give a good idea of the area. I thought the camera had shifted up slightly toward the end of the storms. I put my mouse cursor on that branch as the video played and it stayed on the branch until after the storm then it was above the branch. Maybe the branch moved.

Those are some big boulders, the power of water is amazing. I like the shot where it looks like a deer is running from the flood.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thank God you put the camera up high.

HJ