3.7.11 - lake ave to inspiration point

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

got out for a hike to celebrate my 30th birthday. I've posted the TR here: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... ion-point/

I basically checked out Las Flores Canyon and then went up Echo, Sam Merrill to IP, and down Castle, back to Lake. Castle Canyon Trail is a bit messed up right now with several downed trees. Whats up with that? And does anyone know the name of that little lizard in the last photo?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hey, Matt... hate to be picky, but the snake in your pics is a California Striped Racer (aka Chaparral Whipsnake) The lizard is a Southern Alligator Lizard.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

You're totally right, Mike. Thanks for the correction!
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

That eroded trail above the water tower (just) follows the ridge route. The fun stuff is following the creek trail up the gulch. http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=916662.txt

Gorgeous shots of the lizard and snake!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks Davantalus. I have to get in there and explore those mines sometime soon. Have you done the ridge route up that mountain before?
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

MattCav wrote: Thanks Davantalus. I have to get in there and explore those mines sometime soon. Have you done the ridge route up that mountain before?
Haha. I once got about halfway up the hill and realized it wasn't heading up to echo. But to answer your question, nope!

I recently headed up the canyon following the river and old piping coming down the hill. I wanted to see what's further up and/or top out the canyon if possible at some point. There's a point where I reached a little climb that looks like it could be another mine but that didn't work out and I didn't get further.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Good dyke photos.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks Dav. I'll have to go further up next time.