Mt Baldy this week?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
michaetb

Post by michaetb »

Anyone heading up to Mt. Baldy (Ski Hut) this week and interested in meeting up?
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

I wold be down for this weekend
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Im Just going to go ahead and bump this thread. If anyone wants to do a Mt. Baldy Climb this SAT 3/5 post here or PM me. We could meet at manker flats early like 6ish or some other time depending on what everyone wants. Then we hike up to the ski hut we may have to put our crampons on before the ski hut depending on how much snow there is and then we can go for the summit. So who's in?
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

I might be able to join you at least as far as the Ski Hut. My available time Saturday will be limited as my son's 8th birthday party is that afternoon.

I climbed Baldy 4? times last year so I'm far from an expert on the mountain- nor am I a physical powerhouse. I generally do 4 hours up, 2 hours back usually including lunch.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

If we get up to the trail head early we could totally do it are you looking to summit or just go to the ski hut? Because of the snow will need crampons to go to the summit and maybe even to go to the ski hut and and ice axe for the summit to.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

QuestforBCM wrote: If we get up to the trail head early we could totally do it are you looking to summit or just go to the ski hut? Because of the snow will need crampons to go to the summit and maybe even to go to the ski hut and and ice axe for the summit to.
Will you really need crampons? I'm not saying you won't, but if it's still powder, you might want snowshoes over crampons. Something to think about at least.

HJ
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

I'm hoping we will vs snowshoes. I'm calling the rangers tomorrow to see what the snow is like if it's still powder I dont think I will go. But if the snow is hard enough for crampons I really want to climb it again.
michaetb

Post by michaetb »

I was up there today and for most of the way up, it is knee-deep snow but near the top, it is very slick with ice.

I took the west side approach and wore crampons all the way up. Snow shoes would've been perfect, however, I am waiting for the REI sale to get some. To say that it was tough with just crampons would be an understatement but it was an absolutely beautiful day so well worth the ridiculous pain (and I've been doing crossfit for over 4 years!)

Time up: 8am
Time down: 4pm
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

VERY NICE! I'm going to set up an even on this meet up page below today or tomorrow morning and anyone is welcome to come provided they have climbed before and have their own gear. I'm hoping that a week of above freezing sunny temps have packed the snow in the bowl enough so we dont have to suffer like you did and like i said before im confirming this with the rangers tomorrow. I hope it works out I'm hoping to ask a girl to prom at the summit sooooooo I would say I have more incentive to get to the summit.

http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and-Peakbaggers/
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

My reason for going to ski hut will be mostly limited time- I need to be back in Long Beach by noon at the latest.

For gear I was going to play around with my runners, NEOS Overshoes, and BD Contact Strap crampons. I got the long flex bars to see how they would work with the soft runners and NEOS. I love the combo of runners and overshoes for snowshoeing and snow hiking. Def not for super steep stuff though.

I'll bring snowshoes for if it's soft.

And finally-
ask a girl to prom at the summit
I strongly suggest asking any girl out who will climb a mountain with you! I met my wife on a 400 mile bicycle trip...
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

As much as I want a girl who will climb with me there are not many in Long Beach were I live as well who climb let alone hike. I just figured it would be an interesting way to ask a girl to prom.[/quote]
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

I'm likely to bail on this. I would really prefer to summit and definitely don't have time Saturday, so I am trying to schedule it for Friday instead.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Nice to meet you yesterday Michael. i guess i missed this thread Monday night.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

here is the link to the meetup for Saturday. If you dont have an account and still want to go let me know and i can put you down as my guest.
http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and- ... /16772935/
michaetb

Post by michaetb »

I'd love to be there but I have class from 9 till 2:30 pm!

Early Sunday Morning it is!
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

This morning I went from Manker up as far as the Ski Hut. Left at 7:20, returned at 10:20 this morning. (Got a late start).

The most dangerous part was the water ice on the road. Snow was nice and firm going up and starting to soften when I came down.

I used crampons for the last gully up to the hut mostly to get a little practice as this was the first day I've used them since last May. Then I left them on most of the way to the register box. Later in the day you wouldn't need them.

It was warmer than I expected. I wore just shell pants and a fairly light shirt under a wind shell, then stripped off the shell halfway down.

Have fun this weekend and watch for rockfall.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy JimQ :)

So, it sounds like microspikes would be good on the icy road with crampons, helmet, axe for the bowl? Would rather not carry both crampons and snowshoes.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
norma r

Post by norma r »

Yikes! forgot to mention in my Baldy TR from Tuesday, there was still rime ice falling from the trees. please bring a helmet and be aware. only need one hit in the head to change everything. a HUGE piece fell from the top of a tree by the ski hut as i was taking a photo of the hut. it made me scream since it was so close. just cuz the chunks are on top of the tree doesn't mean they will fall straight down near the trunk. this one came out over the branches and was way too close for comfort
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Rime ice is all gone from trees so you don't have that worry.
Rocks whizzing down always a threat with freeze/thaw cycles.

Helmet a good idea
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Jim - you were gone before I got to Manker Flats - it felt good to sleep in though.

I only went as far as 9100' in the bowl today. I didn't carry snowshoes and they would have just stayed on my back if I had carried them - I don't know if they'd be helpful once you're above the bowl but I'd probably leave them at home unless I planned to go up where the trail is instead of via the Bowl. The snow is melting away fast. It was slushy when I was out there today, but I'm sure it will be icy in the morning.

I moved really slowly today, but maybe I'll do better tomorrow (I doubt it).

Here are some pics from today:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... 2504_7dE3S