Hey Folks,

With no job assignment today I took a scramble -

Lake
Echo
Castle Canyon
Mt Lowe Trail Camp
Middle Sam M. Trail
Lake

On the trail up to Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon I noticed yet another mining hole. I've seen a handful of these things in the front range. Were these done to test for the viability of mining? What would one officially call these things/ mini-caves?

By the way.... a very nice morning up there. Snow in Castle Canyon and parts above. Lots of springs poppin' up. Too much litter :oops:

I'll post some pics later. Happy Trails
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

shreddy wrote: On the trail up to Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon I noticed yet another mining hole. I've seen a handful of these things in the front range. Were these done to test for the viability of mining? What would one officially call these things/ mini-caves?
I think they're usually called "prospects" on the USGS maps, something mining related, but not a full scale mine. They were just prospecting to see if there were something worth mining. In the case of the one you're referring to, evidently not.

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks HJ. There was a very nice seasonal spring/ waterfall by the one I saw today. The one I saw today was no more than maybe 3-4 ft deep.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Was it this one...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

HikeUp wrote: Was it this one...
I think that's the one. There was a very cool seasonal spring/waterfall to the lower right of that where the trail crosses a small ravine.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That sounds about right. The one in the pic is only 5 or 10 feet deep if that. Not sure what they would be prospecting for if they gave up after a few feet!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

MattCav

Post by MattCav »

that is a muy bueno hike to do at this time of year. how slippery was castle? it can be tricky down there when snow/ice fall.
and that little cave is pretty cool. we climbed up there once upon a time and just chilled for a bit. tricky to get to, but a nice resting place. glad you got to experience that hike.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

"how slippery was castle?"

Castle wasn't slippery. Middle Sam Merrill as a bit icy in some areas though. Very nice hike!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

What was the condition of the Mt Lowe trail camp? Is that trail officially open now?
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

robnokshus wrote: What was the condition of the Mt Lowe trail camp? Is that trail officially open now?
From Inspiration Point to Mt Lowe Trail Camp the trail was officially closed, but I only noticed that sign on the way back **wink wink**. The road from IP to Lowe camp was fine. Mt Lowe Trail Camp was in good shape. It looks like the Station Fire didn't hit that immediate area.