"Screw shoes" for icy trail traction?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Finally got out on the trail for the first time this winter. Carrying snowshoes is good exercise but as you all know the need for snowshoes near trailheads is pretty rare. I went 1-1/2 mile up Icehouse Cyn with wife and 2 kids on Monday. The trail was icy; wife and both kids fell down at least once on slick spots.

For myself and my wife I'm planning to get Yaktrax or something similar.

The kids though grow at such a rate that is seems like we would be forever buying new ones to match new shoe sizes. I was reading on some running web sites the idea of putting short sheet metal screws around the perimeter of some footwear for ice traction.

Anyone tried this? My only concern (other than hardwood floors) is that they would chew up the bindings if the screwed shoes were used in snowshoes.

See http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm for an example.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Jim Q: I would go with MICROspikes. They work a lot better than Yaktrax, and they're stretchy so they will adapt to growing feet. I think you can cover at least four shoe sizes easily.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Thanks Dave

I wasn't sure how much size flexibility those had.

Still, they're more expensive. Maybe Microspikes for the wife, screws for the kids, and I'll just go bare or use crampons when needed.
James

Post by James »

I second the microspikes, they're great! Had them on that day. It was really icy that morning.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

+3 for micro spikes

Buy em at REI and return em if the kids grow out of em for a size up.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

My kids grow so fast that I'm always having trouble comprehending where they are- size wise, physical ability, maturity.

Which brings up the possibility that if it's steep enough to need traction aid, it's too steep for an 8 year old. Unfortunately near the trailheads dead flat may require traction aids- remembering Falls Road last year with a sheet of glare ice.