Snow at Sturtevant 2.21.11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Beautiful, crisp day in Big Santa Anita. My wife Robbin and I arrived with our two canine hiking units, Maggie and Ozzy, atabout 8am to a nearly empty parking lot. Our original plan was to head to Spruce Grove then Mt Zion and back via Winter Creek. About halfway to Spruce Grove we encountered a couple (and their canine hiking unit) who had spent the night camping in the snow at Spruce Grove. We started spotting the white stuff in abundance just before Cascade picnic area.

Spruce Grove was quite the winter wonderland!

And it was very cool seeing snow at Sturtevant.

We met Gary from Camp Sturtevant on the way up (along with HIS canine hiking unit Coco) and he was kind enough to show us around the camp when he arrived. With my boots getting a little tread bare, we bailed on the loop and took the upper falls trail back to Chantry. I don't think I've ever seen so much water flowing through the creek and the pools and waterfalls and tributaries were just fantastic! Happy President's Day to us!

PS-This my first time attempting to post pics here so forgive me if I didn't get it right
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice report Rob, thanks for the pictures, cannot remember when the snow level was that low and stayed for more than a day :D
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Good stuff, Rob. That looks like it was a fun day out.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Awesome.

Everytime we go to chantry flats we always see something new. Snow at that low of an elevation is a real treat.