Most remote places in the San Gabriels

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Just for fun what are some of the most remote haunts in the San Gabriels?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Off the top of my head:
-Fish Fork: Do the whole canyon (canyoneering). Pretty much untouched, except for our webbing anchors and those that remain from previous teams. Awesome place.
-South face watershed of Twin Peaks: Basically everything south of the tops of Twin Peaks. Lotsa nice granite, a handful of nice lines.
-Stockton Flats tributaries: Kinda remote, with some cool terrain.

Mostly Fish Fork.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

depends on how you define it....I guess I would think of "which places would take longest to get to" from leaving the car. then I look over the map and starting looking at where places are in relation to the nearest roads and considering all the possible routes.

Its such a big area and the specific terrain will decide which spots take a few hours more than others.

So some speculation:

Falls of the Fox - never been there but I've heard it takes a long time to reach top of falls?

Lower west ridge off of Twin Peaks (maybe) x5585'. From the top of west Twin, how long it would take to drop down 2000' may take a long time depending on brush and terrain.

Like Taco says, upper west fork branches of Bear Creek (south of Twin peaks). If one started at either Bear Creek TH, how long would it take to get to the "Falls" on the topo map? Probably a long time.

Triplet Rocks - this is my standard that I can estimate, and it would take me 5 hrs moving very quickly to get there.

x6388' Big Horn Ridge. Probably take 4.5-5 hrs to get to, either from Cow Canyon Saddle or up Baldy and down the ridge.

North side of Iron and SA Ridge.
x5948' on the NW ridge of Iron ~ 4.5 hrs
Getting to middle part of north ridge probably 5 hrs
x6938' on north spur of SA ridge would take a while to get to, 5 hrs from Iron or Baldy maybe

Fish Fork, but only thing is one could drive a car down into Prairie Fork, then "just" have to hike up and over Pine Mt Ridge - which would not take that long, could probably get to any one spot in Fish Fork in 4ish hrs (but would have a hell of a time trying to access more than one spot in it)
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks for the input guys! Haven't gone super remote in the San Gabriels, but I've been places that sure feel like it. Thanks
moverduin

Post by moverduin »

The DPT (Dawson Peak Trail) covers a remote region for a moderate distance. Has some of the greatest scenery in the SG in my opinion.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Pleasant View Ridge. Once you get beyond the HPS designated high point (just west of Thrall peak), that's pretty remote country.

Winston Ridge, past the HPS designated high point is also seldom visited.

The desert side in general of the San Gabs is less visited.

HJ