Trail Access for Physical Disability

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The PC police may have arrived into the mountains. Does anyone know if this applies to trails on national forests and parks?

New trail rules allow expanded disabled access
simonov

Post by simonov »

I believe it would take an Act of Congress to allow wheeled vehicles into Wilderness Areas like Cucamonga Wilderness, Sheep Mountain Wilderness and San Gorgonio Wilderness.

It would take an act of god to make, say, the Vivian Creek Trail accessible to wheeled vehicles.
Nunc est bibendum
simonov

Post by simonov »

Still, how heartless do you have to be to oppose the construction of paved roads to the summits of all local mountains?

Who among us would deny Tiny Tim a Segway ride to the top of Mt Baldy?
Nunc est bibendum
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am opposed to motorized vehicles on trails, HOWEVER, I was hoping I could ride a unicycle up Big Iron!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

simonov wrote: Who among us would deny Tiny Tim a Segway ride to the top of Mt Baldy?
Or Alan K on, what, his 61st summit? :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

As long as this means I can ride a 2-stroke dirt bike to the top of Baldy while I'm completely engulfed in flames.
simonov

Post by simonov »

It's good to see Eric Holder keeping busy while not prosecuting anyone on Wall Street.
Nunc est bibendum
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

what a farking joke
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Typical for today's news reports, its somewhat vague as to where it applies, so you'd have to read the legal opinion to find out. I'd think its for local city/county park trails, not federal wilderness areas. It would be interesting to see how the USFS would handle access on the Ski Hut trail if they're forced to address the issue.

I like the reference to Huntington Beach - that's the asphalt multi-use trail running along the beach that gets incredibly crowded around the HB pier during the summer; it has speed limit and restricted to mid-day 'walking only' restrictions during the summer, and wheelchairs already use it. The radar gun reference is probably for bicycle riders - I can't see how a wheelchair could get going fast enough to get a speeding ticket! :wink:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

So how many switch backs would it take to reach Iron Mountain from Heaton flat using the ADA standards?

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Anti-tank weapons... they work on Segways don't they?

I don't see a problem.

HJ
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Didn't the inventor of the Segway die from driving one off a cliff?
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I feel sorry for the tens of thousands of people on disability because their backs ache from time to time. I mean, how are they supposed to access the forest to tend their medical marijuana crops with only rustic trails provided?
simonov

Post by simonov »

PackerGreg wrote: Didn't the inventor of the Segway die from driving one off a cliff?
Damn, Greg, that's a good point. We better make sure those paved Segway trails have stout guard rails as well.

Think of the children.
Nunc est bibendum
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Why waste scarce USDA funding on cultivars that sustain a healthy Angeles? I can see it already, the San Dimas Experimental Marijuana Forest.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

ADA ramps might not be feasible. Maybe this would work for the steeper sections?:

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

hvydrt wrote: So how many switch backs would it take to reach Iron Mountain from Heaton flat using the ADA standards?

Approximately 45,632 if my math serves me right.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

With a new ADA compliant trail, I'm planning to drive up to the top of Iron Mountain with this vehicle:

Anyone who wishes a ride can hop in the bed of the truck.
archosaur

Post by archosaur »

hvydrt wrote: So how many switch backs would it take to reach Iron Mountain from Heaton flat using the ADA standards?

Assuming Iron is 7200' feet of gain, at 1:12 with 5' landings, and assuming a switchback occurs at each 30' ramp segment (not really feasible, but what the hey), I calculated 2892 switchbacks with a total distance of 19.2 miles. Of course, that isn't factoring any of the downhill parts of the trail, which would also require ramps. My thinking there is that we could just extend our mega-ramp continuously up over any minor saddles and ignore the troublesome topography. Accessibility first!

Now of course the above ramp system would require continuous handrails. We could ditch the handrail requirement by going to a 1:20 slope, requiring a level area only every 400 feet. This much more comfortable ascent would get you to the top in only 27.6 theoretical miles :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Then it's all settled!

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Actually, though, I'm working on a little accessibility option of my own.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Why do architects get paid more than engineers? Because they can understand the ADA code. :wink:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

simonov wrote: Still, how heartless do you have to be to oppose the construction of paved roads to the summits of all local mountains?

Who among us would deny Tiny Tim a Segway ride to the top of Mt Baldy?
The more I read about it, the more the effect seems to be exagerrated.
One it only refers to state&local. #2 it says that wheelchairs, including power-driven wheelchairs are allowed on trails....and they clarified it to say no Segways,etc. It doesnt say they have to change the trail to provide access...it just says if ya see a wheelchair(power-driven or otherwise) being pushed up to Baldy, dont bother em....its legal and has been legal...at least how I read it.

http://www.americantrails.org/resources ... index.html
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

norma r

Post by norma r »

Taco wrote: As long as this means I can ride a 2-stroke dirt bike to the top of Baldy while I'm completely engulfed in flames.
sometimes i wish this board had a LIKE button as Facebook does! you guys always keep me entertained!

the obvious, what happens when the vehicle breaks down or the battery dies on a vehicle in the backcountry came to mind for me. not the funny stuff like what you came up with. but the Hoveround commercial made me remember the time my dear old dad who used one was coming back to his condo after an afternoon at the pool, while turning a corner in the building hallway he didn't release the forward motion and his 3-wheel cart rode up the wall till it fell backward over him. he was a little bruised and battered but it didn't stop us from calling him Evel Knievel after that! :twisted:

one of my favorite [un]disabled stories was told by the late Mike Patterson who owned the American Hotel in Cerro Gordo (and effectively owned the town since he was the only resident.) he said one day he saw something come up from the east and it turns out it was a guy in a wheelchair with the help of his buddy who had wheeled up from Saline Valley in Death Valley onto the Inyo Mountains where Cerro Gordo is located and down to the Owens Valley. he said this same guy has summited White Mountain (elev 14,252 ft) he didn't need no stinkin' motorization! :wink:

haha, just saw your post Taco. my dad had a Rascal!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAHAHAH Evel Knievel! That's f'ed up! ;-) I love it.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The final solution: no more mountains! (could assuage those worries of a rising shoreline as well)...