looking for ultralight pack - salomon xa20?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I'm looking at dropping some ounces from my daypack set up. I found the Salomon xa20, which is an adventure racing pack. Pack weight is just under 16 oz, and has enough room for a 3L bladder, 2 water bottles, and a bit of cargo. Anyone ever see one of these in person or heard anything about em? I've been using the Flash 30 from REI for 2 years and I like it, but 8 ounces off my load would be a nice dream...

http://www.argear.com/salomon-xa-20-pro-backpack.html
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Matt:

Are you thinking summer or winter?

I got a Osprey Talon 33 a couple of years ago. It's heavier (26 oz) than what you're talking about, but in summer, it's big enough I can use it for a quick overnighter and in winter I can put jackets and stuff in it. Sometimes the really small packs leaving you hanging when you want enough stuff to stay warm. Last thought before I turn my "mother hen" mode off: just make sure that you carry enough that if you get caught out after dark you're not totally screwed. Yeah, light and fast is really fun, but sooner or later the SHTF and you wind up bivying or getting injured or whatever. Don't prepare for every eventuality -- you're pack will be so heavy you can't move -- but don't travel so light that the slightest mishap turns really serious, particularly in cold weather.

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey Jim-
I'm planning on warm weather (late spring to early fall) hikes. My emergency kit (emergency bivy plus medical) weighs about 7 oz or so i'm guessing and it doesn't take up much space...so I'd prob just need room for an additional layer, food, and drinkage. Do you like your osprey? I've tried a few ospreys but they have just seems too narrow for my broad body...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: Hey Jim-
I'm planning on warm weather (late spring to early fall) hikes. My emergency kit (emergency bivy plus medical) weighs about 7 oz or so i'm guessing and it doesn't take up much space...so I'd prob just need room for an additional layer, food, and drinkage. Do you like your osprey? I've tried a few ospreys but they have just seems too narrow for my broad body...
I'm pretty happy with my Osprey. I like that the water bottle pockets are not mesh. The mesh ones wear out too easily, especially on off trail hikes. Also, the compression straps secure things in the pockets. As soon as the elastic wears out on my Golite, then my mesh pockets are going to be pretty useless on that pack.

The little elastic loops on the shoulder straps of the Osprey Talon 33 are pretty much useless. The elastic gave out within the first nine months. I still run the tube from my Platy down 'em, but they've got no stretch left.

I wish the top pocket were "floating" where I could adjust it upwards to put more stuff under it for overnighters, but it's not. The top pocket is sewn down along the "hinge" instead of having adjustable straps. Probably saves some weight though.

It's a nice all around size for me, although for serious winter weather, like a back country ski pack, maybe it's a bit small. For summer overnighters with just a bivy sack, it's really nice. Then I don't have to take a separate "peak" backpack.

I drive up the night before, hike in a few miles, and crash. In the morning, I just cache my overnight stuff, bag a peak, and then pick up my overnight stuff on the way out. The guys I go with usually bring an overnight BP and a daypack -- extra weight and hassle.

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks for the opinions on the talon, jim. i'll give the talon another look... i think we have the 22 at work right now.

take care.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: thanks for the opinions on the talon, jim. i'll give the talon another look... i think we have the 22 at work right now.

take care.
The 33 is on sale right now, not that you probably care about that since you can get "pro" deals.

HJ
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hey Matt, I don't have experience with the XA20 directly, but I have a Salomon Raid Race 200 adventure racing pack:

http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-raid ... 1220-cu-in

This has been my main day hiking pack for the past 5 years. I only use a larger pack when winter mountaineering. I like it a lot, but it is kinda small if you need to bring more stuff. I typically only bring 2L of water, a sack full of emergency gear, another sack of electronics (GPS, lights and camera), some snacks and a light jacket. So all together I probably carried about 15 lbs. I think any more and the pack won't feel very comfortable. Hope that sort of helps coming from a comparable pack. Good luck in your pack search!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks Tim! I purchased the xa20 today. will let you know how it is! I cannot WAIT for this pack to come in!