Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

This week's stove is the iconic Borde Stove.

HJ
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Sweet review Jim!I always found the borde very interesting from reading about it in european blogs and what not.

I believe some moto-enduro travelers call this stove the fireball :P
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks, Johnny,

I've always heard it called the Borde Bomb, but Fireball might be pretty apt.

It is a very cool little stove.

It's a relatively recent addition to my collection, so I'm still learning it's quirks. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very cool, Jim!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Very cool, Jim!!!
8)
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Its simplicity reminds me of the SVEA 123; self priming, only one knob to turn, no regular maintenance required. I occasionally use my 30 yo one on shorter trips or as a secondary stove on car camps. It really draws the interest of folks who have never seen one before. Not sure if they even sell them here in the USA anymore.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

atomicoyote wrote: Its simplicity reminds me of the SVEA 123; self priming, only one knob to turn, no regular maintenance required. I occasionally use my 30 yo one on shorter trips or as a secondary stove on car camps. It really draws the interest of folks who have never seen one before. Not sure if they even sell them here in the USA anymore.
Of all the stoves that came out in the 1950's, only one, the Svea 123 is still produced today. You can still get them. Optimus bought the rights in 1970 and is still producing them, although it's now the Svea 123R; Optimus altered the design a bit. They're very cool stoves and also fairly compact. They'll be on my blog probably the first week in April.

HJ
Zach

Post by Zach »

HJ! These reviews are awesome! Along with your blog you should look into posting reviews on youtube. You can actually get ad revenue for videos you post.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Zach wrote: HJ! These reviews are awesome! Along with your blog you should look into posting reviews on youtube. You can actually get ad revenue for videos you post.
Revenue? lol. Well, maybe. That assumes someone would view this stuff outside the confines of the local mountain forums, but it might be interesting. :)

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach wrote: HJ! These reviews are awesome! Along with your blog you should look into posting reviews on youtube. You can actually get ad revenue for videos you post.
No, seriously Jim, I made $125 off of some shooting videos. If you put your stove reviews in video format, you should make a bit of extra cash.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote:
No, seriously Jim, I made $125 off of some shooting videos. If you put your stove reviews in video format, you should make a bit of extra cash.
So, what, You Tube pays you if you drive a certain amount of web traffic to their site? For real?

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I find it interesting that "risk of explosion" is not listed as a "con".

:lol:

It does have a high "cool" factor though. It looks like something that Dyson vacuum guy would invent, and then snobbily tell you how much better it was than the lame stove you have.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Taco wrote:
So, what, You Tube pays you if you drive a certain amount of web traffic to their site? For real?

HJ
If your video receives enough views, Google AdSense asks if you'd like to place ads on your video. The ads generate revenue. I only had a few videos with ads, and those videos were just rather lame gun videos of me shooting or bullshitting or something, basically a video with no clear objective other than personal memory/sharing with friends.

If you were to make a professional video series of reviews on stoves, I know you will make some $$$$ off of it. Get a good small HD camera, small tripod, all that, and yer off!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote: I find it interesting that "risk of explosion" is not listed as a "con".
Look, if you're not willing to put up with a few "minor" inconveniences, then maybe the great outdoors isn't for you. Sheesh.

HJ