Bear Flat - Baldy - Ski Hut

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It was a quiet Friday -- only one other person on the Bear Flat trail (unless someone started after 9:15). There was basically no snow on the trail until after the narrows, when it was time to put on the crampons and traverse on a lot of crusty stuff. I decided to go down via the Ski Hut for variety (and pay the price later -- walking back to the Village on the road). The snow ended abruptly just before the Ski Hut. There were not too many people on that route either. It was a beautiful day for a hike -- and my birthday besides. It was about 34 on top but the wind died down and it was quite nice. Good views from San Clemente Island to Telescope Peak. It must have been 65 by the time I got back to the Village.

Pix
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Great pics, and a warm happy birthday to you, AlanK!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Happy Birthdat Alan K "The Man" nice pictures and TR, nice to have the mountain almost all to yourself :D Thanks for sharing
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote: I was about 34 on top but ... I must have been 65 by the time I got back to the Village.
Yeah, I've had hikes where I felt that way too. Happy Birthday old man. :lol:

HJ
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
AlanK wrote: I was about 34 on top but ... I must have been 65 by the time I got back to the Village.
Yeah, I've had hikes where I felt that way too. Happy Birthday old man. :lol:
That's the mark of a good hike. Usually, one ages going up the mountain, not going down the mountain.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Happy Birthday, Alan! I've come to believe that birthday hikes are the key to a long and happy life. The hikes you do the rest of the year are bonuses.:D
Nice pics; big increase in brown from only two weeks ago.:o At least the creek crossing has mellowed and the "plywood traverse" is no longer necessary.:lol:
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Happy Birthday and great trip report/pictures!

I agree with Dave G about birthday hikes... Mine was last Tuesday, and though Iron Mountain wasn't as welcoming for me as Baldy was for you, there's still something inexplicable about it that makes it stand out more than a regular hike.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

great job alan!
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Happy belated B.D. Alan... Richard P. asked about you while we were hiking if I have seen you lately, I belive the last time was I was coming down the road from ski hut trail and you were just starting out and your son was doing a meet in Ohio..

Did the Bear Cyn. to Baldy to Harwood down register to hitchen a ride back to cars,on Saturday with Shin and Richard..

mark
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5797 ... t=outdoors
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

So.BayMark wrote: Happy belated B.D. Alan... Richard P. asked about you while we were hiking if I have seen you lately, I belive the last time was I was coming down the road from ski hut trail and you were just starting out and your son was doing a meet in Ohio.
Yes, I remember running into you as you were finishing a Baldy outing. I remember thinking it was pretty early to be finishing a hike, you were finishing an overnight.

Greetings to Richard and Shin. That Baldy trip was my 60th -- more Baldys than birthdays but not nearly as many Baldy's as shin. And Richard doesn't even count them because he's too busy working on his second 100 Whitneys! Busy guys. :-)
He219

Post by He219 »

Happy Birthday, Alan!
Cheers!