Mildred Falls Incident

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

That's awful news. Matt was a great guy. He seemed to have so much promise and potential.

There is a video of the falls here.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Haven't found any info on cause of death - I'd guess hypothermia? He must have been scared beyond what most of us can imagine, poor guy.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Very sad :/ Condolences to family and friends.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Burchey wrote: Haven't found any info on cause of death
"after becoming entangled in his rope and pulled beneath the waterfall cascading downward"

CA: HIKER INJURED AT THREE SISTERS FALLS TELLS HER STORY
http://www.jocosarblog.org/jocosarblog/ ... story.html
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

AW wrote:
Burchey wrote: Haven't found any info on cause of death
"after becoming entangled in his rope and pulled beneath the waterfall cascading downward"
Saw that, but does that mean he drowned, got slammed on the rocks by the water, went hypothermic to expiration, etc. I guess the autopsy will show. Whatever the end, it's always sad to lose someone like this. Why can't we lose less folks in outdoor accidents and more in choking-on-cheetos-while-watching-reality-tv accidents? Seems more fair.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

It was said that hikers could hear his yell from a distance, which is unlikely if there is enough water...probably just flowing down the drop, which he could get away from the wall to avoid.

The likely suspect is Harness Hang Syndrome.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

AW wrote: It was said that hikers could hear his yell from a distance, which is unlikely if there is enough water...probably just flowing down the drop, which he could get away from the wall to avoid.

Wow, HHS is embarrassingly new to me. That is one crappy way to go (google-educated myself). I wonder, if you had knowledge of this and were concious - could you reposition yourself, use your gear to alternate your hanging point, etc? Have you guys ever had a close call with this?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Burchey wrote:
AW wrote: It was said that hikers could hear his yell from a distance, which is unlikely if there is enough water...probably just flowing down the drop, which he could get away from the wall to avoid.

Wow, HHS is embarrassingly new to me. That is one crappy way to go (google-educated myself). I wonder, if you had knowledge of this and were concious - could you reposition yourself, use your gear to alternate your hanging point, etc? Have you guys ever had a close call with this?
You can do some stuff, such as hugging the rope, having a seat and/or chest harness,etc....but it only buys you tens of minutes....you still have to be group rescued or self-rescue...bottom line.

I could say that Ive experienced a lot of what that guy went through...more than most, lets put it that way.The longest I was hanging was 45 mins...could have hanged on for maybe 5 mins more...at least thats what it felt like...you never know though, could have lasted 1 min more or 30 mins more. At some point it gets pretty grim. A lot of pain in the chest area...breathing gets too difficult. I didnt stay around to see what happens next thankfully.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Matthew Pack. RIP my friend.

Goode Canyon 1.30.11