Baldy ... just once

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

It's been 15 weeks since my ankle was broken. Last weekend I finally did a successful canyon descent in Death Valley (a new fork of Styx Canyon) with some friends. Yesterday I tagged my first summit: Mount Baldy via the bowl. This was another test to see where I was at. Everything went about as I expected. Going up was much easier than going down. Walking on hard uneven snow on the way down was pretty stressful on the ankle and so I had to go slow and careful. Felt good to get back off the snow and onto the trail again. By the time I reached the car I was starting to limp pretty bad. I think I gave it as much exercise as I could without hurting it. Although I came alone I ended up hiking with Shin, Jack Cheng, and others when I was recognized at the ski hut.

I still have no idea if I'll ever be able to do extreme hikes again but if nothing else it looks like I can do typical stuff. The pain while hiking isn't fun but ibuprofin helps a great deal.

So anyway, I apologize for making a post about only reaching the summit once. After having summited Baldy 5 times in a single day it felt right that this should be the first peak I returned to.

-Rick
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Rick Kent wrote: So anyway, I apologize for making a post about only reaching the summit once. After having summited Baldy 5 times in a single day it felt right that this should be the first peak I returned to.
I think that this TR is as big a deal as your 5 summits in a day one. It's great to see that you are hitting summits again. I hope that you experience continual improvement!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

WAY TO GO, RICK!!! Thanks for that TR. In many ways, I consider this 1x TR to be far more significant than a 5x TR. This is great news.

HJ
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Just keep at it at a pace that doesn't do futher damage (or re-damage). Doing a dayhike on Baldy at any time of year is more than most folks in the flatlands can do.

If there's a silver lining, at least it was an accident instead of aging. With an accident you know you're gonna be screwed up for a while, but you can come back. Aging just takes over your body and you eventually just have to accept the fact you're not the 'hot shot' you once were; the mind may be willing, but the body ain't gonna cooperate no more.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Just glad you are back Rick :D - hope it's feeling better today.

Hopefully you can keep making progress with it to the point that it doesn't bother you on any hike that is within reason.

You guys got all the good weather up there yesterday - today it was "Whiteout Conditions" with winds well in excess of 40+ but a great climb up Goode Canyon to the summit just the same - Sam Page will post a trip report by tomorrow.
obie

Post by obie »

Rick Kent wrote: go slow and careful.
And keep on truckin'... 8)
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Welcome back! Happy to know you're back on the trails and in the canyons.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think you'll be doing extreme stuff again in time... 8) maybe you'll do different stuff extreme-ly.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Good job! Only 15 weeks!!!, its amazing how fast the human body can heal.
He219

Post by He219 »

Well done, Rick!
Good to see you back in the saddle again.
Cheers-
:D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Although we have never met, I have always enjoyed reading about your adventures. Congratulations on your recovery.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Superman :)

Congratulations 8) I hurt the most and limped the worst after my first hike (Skyline) four months after my ankle fracture/dislocation. Hurt a bit less after San Bernardino Peak the following week and less again on Fuller Ridge one week later. About five months out I did Vivian and could tell I had turned a corner.

You are an incredible athlete (mentally and physically) and will make a complete recovery. Won't be long before I'll have to put Kryptonite on Skyline so I can slow you down enough to see you fly by :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

great job Rick!

just don't try anything really tough too quickly, and you'll be back in great form