1.27.11 - almost halfway up Iron

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I wanted to get out for a few hours today and some wonderful people on here suggested Iron. Could not have been a better suggestion (THANKS!). Conditions were great, awesome views of BP and Baldy, and a nice little calf workout. I put my TR here with Garmin readout and a few pics. My camera died, though, and I didn't take too many pics.

http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... attempt-1/

Also... does anyone know what is steeper, the incline of Iron (before the summit scramble) or Baldy from the Ski Hut trail? Just curious.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: ... does anyone know what is steeper, the incline of Iron (before the summit scramble) or Baldy from the Ski Hut trail? Just curious.
This is job for Acme-fu! :)

Take a look at the Baldy ski hut trail vs. Iron Mountain. Point "A" is the really steep section on the Baldy ski hut trail, and I'd say it is not as steep as several of the sections marked on Iron Mountain (points A - E). I'd say pretty much hands down Iron is steeper.

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job Matt. if you got to 4100, then you probably turned around just before it gets really steep.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Matt,
Funny, i almost did Iron yesterday, but headed a bit south into the SGW. Now you know why John Robinson called, Big Iron, The Mother of All Trails. She will get your attention!

You will be back!!! :twisted:
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

norma r wrote: You will be back!!! :twisted:
LOL! So true. I think I've been up there three times without summiting now. All stupid reasons too.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hj - thats hilarious. good info, i agree with you.

norma - could not agree more. i really want to do it again next week!

ze - your tr for iron was a big help for me and will be a bigger help when i summit (next week hopefully). also, your hiking science article about pacing a hike versus going too fast out of the gate has inspired a new way of hiking for me and i'm a much stronger hiker for it. thanks dude.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Sounds like a great way to while away a Thursday!

Regarding your bee encounter, I would highly recommend carrying the homeopathic remedy "Apis" in your first aid kit. Especially if you are alergic to bees. I'm not alergic, but my wife is hyper-alergic and this has saved her a couple of times on the trail. Without treatment she will swell up pretty bad, but just 3 of these little pills under her tongue and she hardly knows she's been stung. Good for other bug bites and stings as well.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey Robnokshus-
Where can I get Apis? I've never heard of it? That sounds like a good idea.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Henry's market here in Burbank carries homeopathic remedies. Whole Foods might have it. Or check your local health food store. The nice thing about homeopathic remedies is that they're not "faith healing." They work whether you believe in them or not :wink:

Homeopathy is based on the theory of "like treats like." Apis is actually bee venom distilled down to it's "essence." Unlike a vaccine, there is no actual bee venom in it. Conversely, homeopathic remedies become stronger the further they are dilluted.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Matt -- It seems clear that you are sucked in regarding Iron. You can do a lot worse. I have been an Iron Mountain junkie for years. :D

On another subject: Here is a decent article on the pseudoscience of homeopathy.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

it's official. attempt #2 is happening next friday at 630 am. anyone else interested? there's 3 of us so far. probably keep a 2 mph pace or so, give or take.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm possibly down to go. Haven't done this in awhile.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Is this trail snow free? I'd like to do a tough hike since I've been out of commission. Given that my arm is still in a cast, and can't self arrest in snow and ice if needed, is this a good hike for me to do while I wait for things to heal up?
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

I'm in on this, my chest cold should be gone by then.. not as fast as others but dont wait for me i'll see you on your way back..

Shin wanna car pool??

mark
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey Titan and Mark - Would love to see you guys. Plan is 630am meeting at East Fork lot on Friday morning. PM if you want in the next few days if you def want to come, just so we'd know to wait up for you in the AM.

Titan - I understand there to be some scrambling and pretty steep incline before the summit, but no snow that I know of. Maybe Taco or Alan or some others could better answer your question... ?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Given that Baldy is basically clear to the Ski Hut, I would expect the Iron Mt. route to be snow free. There is some steep scrambling on that route, so it would not be my favorite hike with one arm in a cast (or tied behind my back).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What Alan said. Iron's south ridge/normal route sheds snow very quickly. Should be bare, with maybe a few patches just near the summit on very easy ground.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

I have to work Friday, so that's out for me. I may see if Saturday works this week, though. Thanks for the invite. :)
norma r

Post by norma r »

AlanK wrote: Given that Baldy is basically clear to the Ski Hut, I would expect the Iron Mt. route to be snow free. There is some steep scrambling on that route, so it would not be my favorite hike with one arm in a cast (or tied behind my back).
it was until today! :D not sure how much will keep falling or how it will stick, but it sure was a sight for sore eyes.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

no worries, titan. there will be other times. i'll try to post invites on here more often.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

just a refresher, friends.
hike is still happening.
friday, 630 am from the east fork (bridge to nowhere/iron) parking lot. hope yall can make it!
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

My first post on the forums.

I tagged along with Matt & some of his work buddies and Mark. The hike was epic. One for the record books for me at least.

I have all the photo's I took socked away at everytrail here:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=955888

The last entry in the logbook up there was on Feb 1st, and log books dating back to 2004. It's hard to imagine a registry that has 7 years of history in it.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Had a fun day and into the night on my first hike to Iron Mtn. with Matt and his friends... My bonehead of the day was, after taking off my beanie w/ headlamp in parking lot before we left to put baseball cap on I put beanie in pack but forgot to put lamp in, had my two small emergency lights in pack at least.. Drank 162oz Friday..

Norma R or whoever what flower or plant is picture 59 & 60

mark

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5797 ... t=outdoors
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work everyone great pictures, Iron's a tough mountain, that hike kicks you in the butt.

Thanks for sharing the report :D
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

So.BayMark wrote: Had a fun day and into the night on my first hike to Iron Mtn. with Matt and his friends, my bonehead of the day after taking off my beanie w/ headlamp inparking lot before we left to put baseball cap on I put beanie in pack but forgot to put lamp in, had my two small emergenncy lights in pack at least.. Drank 162oz Friday..

mark

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5797 ... t=outdoors
Nice to see your camera's point of view on this trip mark. Great pics. One thing I didn't catch in a photo was your mountain goat like agility going down some of those steep slopes.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

great posts and pics, jason and mark. yesterday was a pleasure. gonna post in the next few!