Bowling on Wednesday

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All :)

I took my friend Sally up the Baldy Bowl yesterday for her first time (my third in the snow). We started hiking before 6 and were fortunate to catch the alpenglow before 7 AM. I chatted with Lilbitmo (Knight Patrick) about a good route and took his advice. We stayed towards the right and followed some very nice footsteps, which made it easier to concentrate on climbing mindfully. I was pleasantly surprised when nothing came down on us. Maybe that was because we wore helmets or because the San Gabriel Rockfall Magnet wasn't with us :wink:

The wind grew stronger as we ascended. By the time we popped out, it was knocking us around pretty good. We carefully made our way up to the summit plateau and knelt to get photos -- it was gusting 40 to 50 mph or more. Then we got the hell out of there.

Since my glissading skills are in their infancy, I took Sally down the regular route. Ate lunch in the little gully to the east of West Baldy, then followed the route laid down by other feet. I showed her one of Taco's steep chutes :shock: and she was amply impressed :lol: Going down the regular "trail" was slow but good practice for traversing in snow with crampons and ice-axe. Also good post holing in spots :roll: Finally ran into some other folks on our way down from the bowl.

We got held up by road work coming back into Baldy village but still a great day.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Glad to hear rockfall was minimal for y'all!