mt wilson

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

okay, i have never done mt wilson and possibly thinking about it this coming sunday. i have no idea where to park, etc.....anyone have beta they can share regarding this hike?
thanks in advance.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mt. Wilson? Never heard of it. :wink:

Old Mt. Wilson Trail (Route #5 from the Sierra Club HPS for directions) is a popular and scenic way to do it - parking is easy.

If you want to start from Chantry Flat (Routes #2 and 3; note - parking can be hellish on weekends if you don't get there early), there are several routes or even loops you can take. Link to a map of some of the trails in the area.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

thank you hike up...:)
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Hey Tina, if you end up going by way of Chantry, stop by Hoegee's Camp and my Scouts and I will cook ya' breakfast :) .
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dave G wrote: Hey Tina, if you end up going by way of Chantry, stop by Hoegee's Camp and my Scouts and I will cook ya' breakfast :) .
Hey, Dave, when are your Scouts going to get there? I was seriously considering going out Friday after work for a quick overnighter. Got to break in that new GoLite backpack of mine.

Tina, if I may make a recommendation, here's a nice loop hike of Mt. Wilson.

Santa Anita Canyon is beautiful; one of the true gems of the front country. Definitely arrive by 0630 or earlier for parking.

Hoegee's Camp that Dave alluded to is at "N" which is just past the trail junction at "M". Note that you need to stay left at the junction and head down Winter Creek to reach the camp.

HJ
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

HJ: In on Saturday, out on Sunday. It's sort of an intro to backpacking for the new guys, although a few of the Whitney "veterans" will be going as well.
Which stove are you taking up? :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dave G wrote: HJ: In on Saturday, out on Sunday. It's sort of an intro to backpacking for the new guys, although a few of the Whitney "veterans" will be going as well.
Which stove are you taking up? :wink:
:lol:

I took out my new Primus Omnifuel last night to Echo Mountain. It's like a dream stove. It's the Cadillac of stoves -- really nice. Hard to go back to MSR stoves after you've seen Swedish precision.

What time are you all going to arrive Saturday morning? If there were something the boys might like to see, I'd be happy to bring it. I've got alcohol stoves, Esbit stoves, upright canister stoves, old brass classic stoves, remote gas stoves, white gas stoves, and multi-fuel stoves -- if it's a backpacking stove, I've probably got at least one example of every general type of stove (except wood stoves). Happy to demo anything and/or discuss the different types of stoves and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I took out my new Primus Omnifuel last night to Echo Mountain. It's like a dream stove. It's the Cadillac of stoves -- really nice. Hard to go back to MSR stoves after you've seen Swedish precision.

What time are you all going to arrive Saturday morning? If there were something the boys might like to see, I'd be happy to bring it. I've got alcohol stoves, Esbit stoves, upright canister stoves, old brass classic stoves, remote gas stoves, white gas stoves, and multi-fuel stoves -- if it's a backpacking stove, I've probably got at least one example of every general type of stove (except wood stoves). Happy to demo anything and/or discuss the different types of stoves and their relative strengths and weaknesses.HJ
dang, i had no idea you were so stove savvy. where have i been? obviously, with my head in a wood campfire! :wink:

i was hoping to hike with you someday HJ, so i could learn the names and how to identify trees. shoot, maybe i'll even learn some new recipes! :P
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HJ,

Would you be willing to come to one of our scout troop meetings and show off the different types of stoves?

Mike
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote: i was hoping to hike with you someday HJ, so i could learn the names and how to identify trees. shoot, maybe i'll even learn some new recipes! :P
First trees, now stoves. You never know what ol' HJ's got up his sleeve. :lol:

In terms of hiking: Well, I'm seriously thinking about getting out on Saturday morning. I might even bring a special guest star if Dave's Scouts don't want a stove demo.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to food. My forte is planning, navigation, and gear. You might be the one that gives me the recipes.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote: HJ,

Would you be willing to come to one of our scout troop meetings and show off the different types of stoves?

Mike
Hi, Mike,

I'd love to. This is my hobby, and I enjoy sharing it. I'm also an old Scout and would be only too happy to support Scouting. I can give a general talk, tailored to whatever length of time you think the boys can stand, or I can be more directed and give you a talk on winter stoves, lightweight stoves, or whatever you like. Ideally, I like to do demos. I have enough C.R.A.P. (camping related accessories and peripherals) :wink: that I can even do hands on stuff with the boys, but we'd really have to plan that out in order to make sure that it would be safe. We'd need a lot of parental participation on that one. Anyway, why don't you shoot me a PM, and we can talk specifics.

HJ
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Dave G wrote: Hey Tina, if you end up going by way of Chantry, stop by Hoegee's Camp and my Scouts and I will cook ya' breakfast :) .
On Sunday???? you will be up there?
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Thanks Jim, i will be taking a newbie up there, this is helpful.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

@HJ: PM sent!
@Tina: Yup, I'll be there (at Hoegee's Camp). I have a training thing on Saturday so I'll actually be hiking in late Saturday night or early Sunday from Chantry Flat. What time are you guys starting out?
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Not sure, will be a later start because i have a bday party in hollywood to attend. i was thinking 7-8...late for what we are use to. will you still be up there?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

tinaballina wrote: Not sure, will be a later start because i have a bday party in hollywood to attend. i was thinking 7-8...late for what we are use to. will you still be up there?
Most likely we'll still be there, so be sure and stop by.
If you end up starting any earlier (6-6:30?), shoot me a text and I'll hike up with you!
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

check your text... :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I went out on Saturday and did the Zion Loop. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS day. Had fun meeting with Dave's Boy Scout troop and presenting them a little "stove talk." :)

HJ
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

HJ-norma was telling me you planned to go out....what a great thing for you to do. what was the stove winner of the group?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tinaballina wrote: HJ-norma was telling me you planned to go out....what a great thing for you to do. what was the stove winner of the group?
I brought a heavy duty, high end expedition stove suitable for the Himalaya or the poles... and that didn't grab any attention.

The home made alcohol stove built from a couple of empty Pepsi cans? The boys were all over that one. :lol:

Oh, and the hot chocolate I made for everyone? The boys were definitely into that. :)

HJ
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

and i missed that?????????? damn, i will hold out for the cin rolls with extra icing next time we hike.
that was really nice of you to do that HJ, nice work.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tinaballina wrote: and i missed that?????????? damn, i will hold out for the cin rolls with extra icing next time we hike.
I'll save an empty Pepsi can for ya. You can bedazzle it. Although I think it would look better on your ice axe. :lol:

HJ
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

i should bedazzle my ice axe....i can for see a whole new line of gear. Although, taco would kill me if i even thought of that.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tinaballina wrote: i should bedazzle my ice axe....i can for see a whole new line of gear. Although, taco would kill me if i even thought of that.
Then you're dead already and have nothing to lose! I can see you bringing fashion to new "heights." :lol:

HJ
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

tinaballina wrote: and i missed that?????????? damn, i will hold out for the cin rolls with extra icing next time we hike.
I missed out too, Tina, and it's my scout troop! :oops:
Hey, maybe we can get him to do stoves 'n' cocoa at the next SGMDF gathering. :?:
Thanks again, HJ!