Eaton canyon rescue incident (via Altadenablog)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ouch, good luck. Hope all goes well.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Small update: (two different incidents - both people are out, with moderate injuries)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... orest.html
Two hikers were injured Sunday afternoon when they fell in separate incidents in Eaton Canyon, a popular recreational area in Angeles National Forest.

One man fell 200 feet at 1:30 p.m. and the second man fell 50 feet about 4 p.m., said Deputy Jeff Gordon of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

After hoisting up the first hiker, a crew on a department helicopter had to return to the canyon for the second rescue. Both men, who were not identified, were in their 20s. They were taken to a local hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries, Gordon said.

He did not know the precise circumstances of the accidents, but said they occurred in roughly the same area, between the canyon’s second and third waterfalls.

The canyon, north of Altadena, is typically filled with people hiking up to the waterfalls on weekend days.

-- Bettina Boxall
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Hmmm.....standard rescue profiles: twenty something males who think they are immortaL.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

RichardK wrote: Hmmm.....standard rescue profiles: twenty something males who think they are immortaL.
What makes you think that? Thinking of the dudes who go up there with their girlfriends and wanna impress them with some sorta ill-fated trick? :lol:
Zach

Post by Zach »

I do believe SCIENCE can explain all phenomena.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach wrote: I do believe SCIENCE can explain all phenomena.
WHAT SAY YOU, MINISTER OF SCIENCE OF THE GINGER LIBERATION ARMY?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

There was this article....
http://altadena.patch.com/articles/high ... ton-canyon
"We average 30 to 50 rescues a year, and I'd say about 80 percent of those take place in Eaton Canyon,"Altadena Sheriff's Deputy Gregory Gabriel said ...........Sherry Rollman, a spokesperson for the local Forest Service, said the agency has never considered putting up any kind of barrier in the area or putting up warning signs.

"It's wild land, and the Forest Service's position is that know before you go: Know the hazards you might be facing," Rollman said."

I think the forest service can keep trying to pretend they dont know anything, but its not "wild" up there. Perhaps time to get rid of that use trail once and for all?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I think a warning sign would be appropriate there. But it would get stolen or spraypainted within minutes, so I understand why they haven't done it.

(edited to stop beating the dead horse)