Detour Gear Zone, Covina

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

http://www.detourgearzone.com/index.html

Are these guys just an online retailer?

If not, COOL! Friggin' A, we need gear shops here.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Gear shops were put out of business not long after you were born by A16, Sport Chalet and REI.

In the days of the mountain shops (before REI came to California) you had to drive around to a lot of different shops before you could find what you wanted, because each shop carried only one line for each product category. And prices were hideous.

Then REI opened in Carson and it was "Hallelujah!" It was a cavernous warehouse that had everything, and at good prices. Great news for young kids (like me at the time) trying to gear up. But they put the mountain shops out of business and now REI only carries a couple lines per product category and is none too cheap, either. So we are worse off than before.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Balls. I figured.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:... REI opened in Carson and it was "Hallelujah!" It was a cavernous warehouse that had everything, and at good prices. ... But they put the mountain shops out of business and now REI only carries a couple lines per product category and is none too cheap, either. So we are worse off than before.
Yeah. REI isn't what it used to be. Sport Chalet was one of the orginal gear shops that survived, but it's no longer much of a mountain shop anymore (although occasionally they'll have a some good stuff). Sport Chalet survived by morphing and becoming a chain store.

I guess the internet is something of an equalizer, but then one has to pay shipping.

Thank God A16 has survived. They're a pretty good mountain shop. I guess they've survived by being good, 'cause they're definitely not the big guys.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Thank God A16 has survived. They're a pretty good mountain shop. I guess they've survived by being good, 'cause they're definitely not the big guys.
A16 was originally a wholesaler, supplying mountain shops, so that might have something to do with their survival.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Thank God A16 has survived. They're a pretty good mountain shop. I guess they've survived by being good, 'cause they're definitely not the big guys.
A16 was originally a wholesaler, supplying mountain shops, so that might have something to do with their survival.
Really? Interesting. I guess they continue to be big enough to get enough volume to compete with Sport Chalet and REI. A16's typically a bit more expensive, but they have a lot more selection, a lot more specialized stuff, and often higher end stuff. I hope they continue to make it.
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Hello Everyone,
TacoDelRio, thank you for your interest in our store. And I hope everyone is okay with me posting here, but I am really not trying to advertise here. But I would like everyone to know our future goals.

At this point, we do not have a retail brick and mortar store. Our future goal is to have a large enough warehouse to allow our customers to come and try out the equipment you can't find anywhere else.

We have definitely been aware of the lack of gear shops in our area other than the big chains (REI, A16, and Sport Chalet,etc.). As we grow, we hope to keep our specialty shops strong with all the same gear that you as a local hiker will need. Even though we are not open to the public, we do offer free shipping on all orders and our average turn around time for shipments are 1 to 2 days locally. Just letting you know.

Thanks again,

Robert
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hey Robert, thanks for the info. I think your post is OK. This is a pretty laid back message board.

I think it'd be great if you could eventually have a small semi-store front next to your main warehouse. JensonUSA (the bike vendor) has something like that at their Ontario facility. It's cool to check stuff out or pick up a will call order.

The main things I'd like to check out are packs, shoes and technical jackets. The chain stores never carry Black Diamond or Camp packs or Montbell or lightweight adventure racing gear. It would also be cool if you carried some European stuff like Eider or Mammut, although maybe the exchange rate might be a problem. Basically if you could duplicate a real mountain shop around here that would be awesome.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

+1 on some of the Euro gear. Technical clothing from Montane, Rab, Vaude, Direct Alpine, Crux, etc. Probably a bit much to ask, though.

Some other high-end N.A. gear like Westcomb or Wild Things, perhaps?

A guy can dream..
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Robert, we're very laid back here, and I really like it that way. Post whatever you like! Thanks for posting!

If you had that warehouse setup....

#1. I need a job 8)
#2. SWEET!

I wish you guys the best of luck in setting up your business. I've been part of opening small businesses before, and have seen them fall apart bigtime. I imagine it's a bit tougher at the moment with what's going on, so I hope things level out and become more predictable and relaxed.

Best O' luck!
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the great welcome.

Just to let you know, we have Black Diamond already and we are adding more of their gear in the months to come. We are also planning to carry Mammut and Mad Rock very soon too.
But if there is anything you are looking for or would like to special order anything, please let me know. We would like to help anyone with whatever they are looking for.

GoLite also has great lightweight adventure gear and if we don't show it on our site, let me know. We can definitely get it for you.

Just to let you know, mostly everything on our site is typically in stock and if it isn't, we are only a few days away of having it in. We are not a drop ship company and we make sure to have a decent inventory in stock. Please email me or call us if you guys have any questions.

Thank you again, guys and as we continue, you just never know. I might just offer you a job TacoDelRio. :D

Thanks again everyone,

Robert
robert@detourgearzone.com
(877)338-6870
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dumb question perhaps... Grivel North America (distributor) is now defunct. If you guys were to carry them, would it be required that you're a distributorship, or could it be a direct retail setup or what-have-you?
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

We would basically be one of their dealers. Although they closed their doors to North America and will not sell to us anymore. I hope this helps.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

So it would be a deal where you'd hafta buy them from a group overseas and bring 'em here etc?
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

That is exactly it, we would have to find a distributor in Europe that will sell to us and have them ship the gear to us.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I figured. That always sucks. :( :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: http://www.detourgearzone.com/index.html

Are these guys just an online retailer?

If not, COOL! Friggin' A, we need gear shops here.
I see their website is still up. I guess that's a good sign.

Do they have an actual store in Covina?

HJ
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Hi Hikin_Jim,
We are still putting up a fight to stick around. Our goal is to have a retail location in the near future, it is just taking a little longer than we hoped for. If you have questions or are interested in something, please feel free to contact me. I am more than happy to help out in any possible way.

Robert
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I see their website is still up. I guess that's a good sign.
For what it's worth, Robert at Detour hooked me up amazingly quickly with a GoLite pack on the shortest of notices. I'd buy his gear again any day.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

robertatdetour wrote: Hi Hikin_Jim,
We are still putting up a fight to stick around. Our goal is to have a retail location in the near future, it is just taking a little longer than we hoped for. If you have questions or are interested in something, please feel free to contact me. I am more than happy to help out in any possible way.

Robert
OK, cool.

Thanks and good luck.

HJ