01/11/11, my first time up the Mt. Baldy bowl

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Got a late start and signed the trail register at 9.30 a.m.. Snow was quite soft and I didn't mount the crampons until just below the ski hut. Met a nice gentleman at the ski hut, 70 years young, and headed up the bowl with him. He helped me with my crampons and gave me some valuable pointers. He also told me which chute to take up. I went ahead and took his picture from about half way up. I descended from the saddle between Baldy and Harwood and took his picture again, he was just about 50 feet from the top, same chute I took up. I didn't think he'd make it all the way up, but there he was. One tough old dude. Signed out at 14.30. Fabulous day, great workout. Would have never thought of doing this if it wasn't for this forum. thanks to all. Now I am hooked.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Spotfin, congrats on your first ascent of the bowl, we are all glad to add to your addiction, we have meetings every now and again :shock: only these ones add to the addiction rather than help you with overcoming it :wink:

Nice shots, great job
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Well done. Was it the 70ish Asian man that says he's summited Baldy 200 times? I ran into him on New Years weekend, that guy rules! He gave me some brown rice cake.
simonov

Post by simonov »

spotfin wrote: Got a late start and signed the trail register at 9.30 a.m.
Did you pick up some stickers?
Nunc est bibendum
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

simonov wrote:
spotfin wrote: Got a late start and signed the trail register at 9.30 a.m.
Did you pick up some stickers?
I didn't, but I'll do so next time now that I qualify!

Burchey, must be the same guy, he had a light blue Petzl helmet.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Sweet!
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

lilbitmo wrote: Spotfin, congrats on your first ascent of the bowl, we are all glad to add to your addiction, we have meetings every now and again :shock: only these ones add to the addiction rather than help you with overcoming it :wink:
Ha!

Welcome to the club, Spotfin!