Basic Mountaineering Orientation - Winter 2011

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

He219

Post by He219 »

simonov wrote: I was more thinking of meeting at the Ski Hut. It might be better than waiting around in the parking lot for people to show up, especially latecomers.

I'm thinking of getting up there early and making . . . PANCAKES!
Yieah, now you're talkin' ..
IcyBacon

Post by IcyBacon »

Hey yall.

I did a few trips up to the bowl last year to practice beginning skills, and I'm very excited to meet people more adventurous than my only buddy with gear (great guy, but his comfortable winter limit seems to be walking up Icehouse). See everyone at Manker...

-Ian
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I might overnight it in the bowl near the hut instead of trying to rally up so early and make pace with you guys.

What's the road/Manker like on Fridays during the day? Should I still go early, or does the workday/schoolday factor mitigate traffic and parking insanity?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

@Bert - the ski lift is open so there's a fair amount of traffic coming and going from there - yesterday (midweek) wasn't bad at all.

Friday afternoon should be easy, it's Saturday that will be the joke - it will be a zoo getting out of there.
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

wait a minute, what ? A ZOO ?

@ Dave..thats funny, the stuff that gets pulled up on him never looks quite right. I should start leaving the camera at home.

looking forward to seeing you too.
norma r

Post by norma r »

This will not be on the agenda... Helmet glissades strictly forboden!

jjbrunner

Post by jjbrunner »

I'm totally trying a helmet glissade!
leeza22

Post by leeza22 »

We'll see you guys there. Can't wait to meet everyone!
leeza22

Post by leeza22 »

Question: will it be better to use microspikes at first probably up to the ski hut you think? And then crampons? Or is there enough snow to pretty much just stick with crampons?
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

norma r wrote: This will not be on the agenda... Helmet glissades strictly forboden!

Dang I was hoping to see that. :D

We'll have fresh snow! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait till tomorrow!
simonov

Post by simonov »

leeza22 wrote: Question: will it be better to use microspikes at first probably up to the ski hut you think? And then crampons? Or is there enough snow to pretty much just stick with crampons?
The microspikes might be useful on the bare parts of the San Antonio Falls Road (always covered with black ice in the mornings), but after that you probably won't need anything special on your feet below the Ski Hut.
Nunc est bibendum
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

Tracie, I think Norma remebers the frantically stressed look on Ferns face after he realized he had just tried to force 160 pounds into a little helmet. He wasn't smiling.

but we all know about going somewhere in the snow with Taco...

yes, the pack is bigger than he is.

and you will be teaching how to glissade with your spikes on ?

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I love Fern.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Coming out from Huntington Beach. Look forward to seeing some mountain folks.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Gonna get an early start and meet you guys at the hut. I'll be naked so i'll be easily recognized.
(joke)
leeza22

Post by leeza22 »

See you guys. We'll sleep in our car up there...don't want to miss it. We have a hard time getting up at 4:30 am :-)
jjbrunner

Post by jjbrunner »

Looks like there's going to be a big turnout! Just don't take all the parking! Maybe there can be somebody stationed lower on the road to tell people that want to "play" in the snow that the snow is closed for the day!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Taco wrote: I love Fern.
Gotta love a guy that wears a bathing suit @ 11,000' in December

TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I want to thank Taco for such a fun day! Pix to follow.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HUGE thanks go to Taco and Simonov for organizing a great day in the Baldy Bowl. What was the attendance number? 30- 40? I counted at least 80 people from different groups in the bowl today.

Also, thanks to Simonov, Norma, Taco, Dave G (I'm sure I must be leaving someone out) for giving pointers to those of us who have little experience in snow travel. I gotta' practice "head down/on my back" self arrest a little more :)

It was also fun meeting so MANY of you from the board... it's good to put faces to the posters.

Thanks to all!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks to you guys for coming out!

Here are my pics: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... %20Clinic/
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Awesome how many people showed!Great to meet everyone!

Thanks to everyone who showed up.Thank you Ryan for setting it up and everyone else helping to organize also! Awesome turnout!Beautiful day with beautiful people,excellent fun all around.Everyone has such great spirits and are wonderful kind people. =D
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Thanks Taco for putting this together,Simonov for pancakes in the morning..It was really good putting faces to these names on the board..
I had alot of fun, you people are good to hang with(if i can keep up)..

Thanks for the pointers everyone who helped, on useing the ice axe with crampons on and off...

mark

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5794 ... t=outdoors
by the way Johnny found rock, welcome to Baldy!
Tim

Post by Tim »

It was nice meeting everyone! I kinda wish we had nametags with our forum names because I wasn't sure who to introduce myself to. There was a heck of a lot of people! :)

I really want to join the clinic and hear tips from the more experienced folks, but we didn't have enough time so we had to break off. Here are some pictures.

Big turnout!

Taco at the top of Figure 11

Taco's group heading up the summit
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

That video of Taco on the summit is priceless Mark,especially with your yell!That was great!
Baldy 1-8-2010 with Taco 074.AVI
Awesome photos,thanks so much for snapping so many =D

Sent you a pm to get some high res of a few if you dont mind.
jbowman18

Post by jbowman18 »

Definitely bummed I didn't make it. Woke up at midnight with full on fever and body aches. I had the car already packed up too.

I am looking to climb SOMETHING in the San G's next weekend (I have a buddy coming in town). I'm new out here and was hoping somebody could suggest a route up? Even better, one route that wouldn't require crampons (in case I can't find a pair of straps for my friend) and one route assuming I can find a pair.

Looks like ya'll had fun, sorry I missed out. Definitely next time.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Iron Mountain!!!!! Probably snow free. Beast of a hike though.
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

Nice meeting everyone :D

Fun day on the mountain, all except my clutch went out on my truck on the way down..sucks

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Super Glad I was able to meet up with everyone and meet all the new climbers coming out to learn new skills - once again thanks to Taco and Siminov for organizing this - as this is all part of the same thread I'll just throw My Pictures up here and report that the snow early morning was fantastic (firm) for doing the face of the bowl, it got softer in chute near the top as the sun was warm yesterday. It was nice to see some left over rim ice hanging in the trees above the ridge at the top of the bowl but one chunk decided to hit me sqaure in the forearm when I was 3/4 the way up the face, just about knocked me over.

Ty (Secondlizzard) nice work on your second time up the face of the bowl.

Everyone was having a fun day on the mountain, just glad I could join everyone :D :D