Sports Chalet

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Someone must tell them how poorly they represent the mountaineering / hiking / winter snow shoe / winter boot Department. :evil:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice TR...any pics? :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, but sometimes they discount climbing gear. I think it's because they don't know what it is. :lol:
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

When they sing in the jingle "♩♫ ♪ we take it to the limit ♪♬♩", they don't specify which limit - the upper or the lower.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

I doubt they really care. They're a general sporting goods store, and their bottom is apparently good enough to run the way they do. If you look at anything they carry, such as golf gear, or flyfishing equipment (just to name a couple things I know something about), they don't really come close to representing those two sports with cutting edge gear. I go there to get stuff like Adventure passes and fishing licenses, and items like Nalgene bottles that I know are the same quality of A16 or REI. Since there are 2 stores fairly close to my house, it would be nice if I could shop there more often and get cool gear.
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

Hey Tracie!
I was a little suprised at the varied selection at the Huntington Beach Sport Chalet. They have some high end stuff and some real cr@p.
Curt and I were looking for climbing helmets last year. I found my BD Half Dome at REI...easy find. Curt had a hard time finding the right fit. We hit both REI's and A16 in West LA...nothing! He ordered a Grivel and a Petzl on line...no luck! He tried to order a Mammut, but everyone was out of stock. We went to SC to look at Oakley sunglasses and decided to go upstairs just to look at backpacks (as if 5 each aren't enough...lol) and there sitting on a shelf in the climbing section was the Mammut helmet that Curt tried to get online. It was cheaper than online and it fit!
I agree with Taco (Ryan) I don't think they know what some of the stuff is, and their boot selection does suck!
Stacy
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

They do suck, but like Taco said, sometimes they have stuff that is under priced.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I actually like Sports Chalet, but perhaps mainly out of pity. I just don't understand how they survive. Anytime I go there (or Sports Authority or Big 5) there is never a line at the register. Sure, every once in a while someone buys a pack of ping pong balls, but I'm thinking they're making like a $100 in sales per day? Lol, they're like the Radio Shack of sporting goods...no one knows how they stay in business.

But of the three sporting good chains, they tend to be the most high end. Over the PA, they'll call someone to the "Mountain Shop." At least they even have a mountain shop. I bought my Raven Pro ice axe there and lots of normal sporting goods. Most of the stuff in the Mountain Shop probably never even gets sold, but I have to give them credit for keeping the inventory there to make it look nice. But they also have that map case and that tank of live bait. Take that REI.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Tim wrote: I actually like Sports Chalet, but perhaps mainly out of pity. I just don't understand how they survive. Anytime I go there (or Sports Authority or Big 5) there is never a line at the register. Sure, every once in a while someone buys a pack of ping pong balls, but I'm thinking they're making like a $100 in sales per day? Lol, they're like the Radio Shack of sporting goods...no one knows how they stay in business.
They make their money selling clothing. Clothing moves faster and has better mark-ups than gear. This is why successful mountain shops, include REI, invariably devote more and more of their floorspace to clothing.

Miller's Outpost, for example, started as a surplus store and mountain shop. Then they started carrying Levis and it wasn't long before they became a clothing store.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

PackerGreg wrote: When they sing in the jingle "♩♫ ♪ we take it to the limit ♪♬♩", they don't specify which limit - the upper or the lower.
LOL
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

simonov

You are right about the clothing! The new REI Tustin store looks more like The GAP than an outdoors oriented store. The store is beautiful, but it's mostly clothing now...and it's non - technical "I wanna look like I go outside" clothes.
I guess we have to drive to Mammoth to find a good mountaineering shop! That's a bummer (not!) :lol:

Stacy
simonov

Post by simonov »

BiletChick wrote: You are right about the clothing! The new REI Tustin store looks more like The GAP than an outdoors oriented store. The store is beautiful, but it's mostly clothing now...and it's non - technical "I wanna look like I go outside" clothes.
When REI first arrived in the area, in a big warehouse in Carson almost 30 years ago, I don't think there was any clothing at all.

Today some 50% of their floorspace is probably devoted to clothing. About half the time I visit REI I leave empty-handed because the unique item of gear I am looking for is only available on-line.
Nunc est bibendum
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

The REI in Huntington Beach is almost a joke, and its tiny. I go in there to buy basic bicycle stuff more that climbing and hiking gear. There's more floorspace devoted to bicycles than climbing gear!

The old REI in Carson also had a big rental/repair department. There was a older gal working back there who could repair any garmet you brought in, and they also had a shoe repair service that was fast (rockclimibing shoes and old leather mtn boots). They sold some clothes, but no where near the selection they have today. You could walk in the Carson store and come out a few hours later ready to climb Denali or Mt. Everest.
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

atomicoyote
I couldn't agree with you more about REI HB! I felt so fortunate when the HB store opened up (I live a couple of miles away). I couldn't go near that mall without stopping in just to look. Now, I pass by without a thought. The store is almost depressing. Unfortunately for us in SoCal, the best bet for real gear is just to gamble with an online purchase and be prepared to pay additional shipping costs on your return. This is a shame because REI's return policy is by far the best I've ever seen...most online places want the gear returned "new and in original packaging" within 30 days of purchase. How do you know if your new pack will work until you load it with your own gear and use it?
On the other hand, REI doesn't carry good brands like Western Mountaineering, RAB, Montaine, Montbell, Feathered Friends, Integral Designs, Hilleberg, or Icebreaker anyway...
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Stacy, I've noticed the same thing....Yes we need a store like Elevation in our area. Granted it probably isn't going to happen due to the seasonality of the gear...too bad. And I still have that gift card...guess I'll get a GPS or some other gizmo.
simonov

Post by simonov »

We've had this discussion.

https://eispiraten.com/s ... 0.php#8400
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

BiletChick wrote: I guess we have to drive to Mammoth to find a good mountaineering shop! That's a bummer (not!) :lol:
You've got that right. It was such a pleasure to go into some of the gear shops in Bishop and Mammoth this past summer. Imagine that! A real gear shop.

Oh, wait, I have a scuff on my hiking boot. I'd better run over to REI and freshen up.

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hiking / mountaineering / fishing in one spot........ Skiing / Snowshoes and sleds across the street.

Big mountain in original store to test out boots.

After the mountain left ..... the place went downhill.