Oh, it's a white-out. New Years Weekend Mt. Baldy yeah!

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very cool TR! Too bad about the headlamp and the usual winter traffic.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: Very cool TR! Too bad about the headlamp and the usual winter traffic.
Thanks man, I should have guessed on the traffic.

Based on my experience on this climb, it must be such a sense of satisfaction for you to double-hand those technical axes as you move up on a steep ice climb. I already rock climb quite a bit, but I don't have the courage required for the waterfalls even if I could pull myself up. Scary stuff.
mve

Post by mve »

Great story! And I am glad you made it back safely in this poor visibility!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Burchey wrote:
Taco wrote: Very cool TR! Too bad about the headlamp and the usual winter traffic.
Thanks man, I should have guessed on the traffic.

Based on my experience on this climb, it must be such a sense of satisfaction for you to double-hand those technical axes as you move up on a steep ice climb. I already rock climb quite a bit, but I don't have the courage required for the waterfalls even if I could pull myself up. Scary stuff.
Two tools is more efficient, generally speaking, but often times finds the user crouched down in a less efficient position, unable to breathe as efficiently. Or something. :-)

OK, I've passed my limit on the word "efficient".
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: Two tools is more efficient, generally speaking, but often times finds the user crouched down in a less efficient position, unable to breathe as efficiently. Or something. :-)

OK, I've passed my limit on the word "efficient".
Copy that. I also understand more the discussion in the other thread about helmets/position of the head relative to angle of the slope, etc with respect to rolling rocks/ice. I need to fine-tune my search for a helmet to fit my giant sloped head pronto.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Now THAT was a trip report! I loved it..lol
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

titanhangman wrote: Now THAT was a trip report! I loved it..lol
Entertaining myself since 1980.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Check out the Camp Armor helmet. Real nice, real comfy, and stable.

I don't think you're a Dbag for not taking the thing off yer adze. I found that a tad odd, but it doesn't make you a D-bag. If interwebs people think you are one, they can shove it. Just don't do it again. ;-)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: Check out the Camp Armor helmet. Real nice, real comfy, and stable.

I don't think you're a Dbag for not taking the thing off yer adze. I found that a tad odd, but it doesn't make you a D-bag. If interwebs people think you are one, they can shove it. Just don't do it again. ;-)
Got it on the guard. On the helmet - that is one of about 15 different helmets I've tried on. My poor head...it's so big and lumpy, none of them seem to sit correctly. I think the Ecrin Roc or whatever it is fit the best so far, but it's spendy and still looks like it is sitting too high. The search is on.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Great TR. Holiday traffic is the worst. That helmet comes in Red or white. Red one is cheaper. I'm think that anything I'm using on the mountain I want to stand out since it might just be attached to me when SARS is looking for it.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hahahaha! I've got little spittle marks on my monitor after watching the second video.

WHAAAAT. WHAAAAT.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

davantalus wrote: Hahahaha! I've got little spittle marks on my monitor after watching the second video.

WHAAAAT. WHAAAAT.
I couldn't figure out if the tree was picking a fight with me, or was just trying to figure out where in the hell all the ice came from. Either way, I figured a couple hits with the axe would do the trick.

Unrelated - I wish I would have taken video of my ice-axe/kite in the wind at the very top. It was ridiculous.