It is Official: Mt Baldy Road Closed

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
xmastree

Post by xmastree »

just saw it on tv bout 5 mins ago
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I think the 38 and 18/330 are closed also. I wonder what part of Angeles Crest HWY was destroyed this time?
xmastree

Post by xmastree »

I called the Baldy ski lifts yesterday and I was told that Manker Flats is flooded.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

xmastree wrote: I called the Baldy ski lifts yesterday and I was told that Manker Flats is flooded.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH just wait until Ze sees this!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

lol yeah once I was told Heaton Flat was flooded. of course that was after an insignificant amount of rain compared to this weather.

trust me if it was the rangers saying this (and not ski lifts) I still wouldn't trust them!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nice.

Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I hear that the summit of Mt. Baldy is flooded.

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

:cry: :( :cry: :(
i'm not surprised by the amount of water and mud we saw flowing on Sunday. too many days of constant deluge. well there is always the Bear Flat Trail.

i'm heading out of town for the holiday and was totally bummed to know i was gonna' miss out on seeing what this storm left behind. hope you all get up there soon. have fun, be safe! :)
harryquach

Post by harryquach »

Am I missing something or did mt baldy move east of the 15. According to the TV map it has moved
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

harryquach wrote: Am I missing something or did mt baldy move east of the 15. According to the TV map it has moved
The flow got REALLY heavy!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

hvydrt wrote: I think... I wonder what part of Angeles Crest HWY was destroyed this time?
Prolly the same parts they just spent $$16.5 million fixing :lol: :cry:

Should have put in the via-duct on the lower washout. Ladybug Cyn is a problem.

So expect the reopening gala sometime around 2014 or 2015
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

A buddy of mine who lives up there sent me this pic yesterday, part of the road collapsed stranding some residents(again)...

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Wow! That looks like the area between Ice House and the village?
norma r

Post by norma r »

:cry: sorry to see.

looks like we'll be doing some major snow climbs... Village to Baldy, IHC to Baldy, Iron to Baldy. where there's a Will there's a Way! our quads will be in good shape, that's for sure!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Looks like some San Gorgonio snow climbing is in our future.
Nunc est bibendum
AW~

Post by AW~ »

mattmaxon wrote:
hvydrt wrote: I think... I wonder what part of Angeles Crest HWY was destroyed this time?
Prolly the same parts they just spent $$16.5 million fixing :lol: :cry:

Should have put in the via-duct on the lower washout. Ladybug Cyn is a problem.

So expect the reopening gala sometime around 2014 or 2015
From what I read nothing was wrong, just the 'precautionaty' measure. I remember many people getting fear stuck last year....nevertheless, someone decided to forgo the closure and...
12/21/2010 10:37 Missing Motorcyclist Search & Rescue Angeles Crest Highway/Newcomb's Ranch
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

simonov wrote: Looks like some San Gorgonio snow climbing is in our future.
"All travellers who had preceded me into the Barren Grounds had relied on the abundant game, and in consequence suffered dreadful hardships; in some cases even starved to death."

San Gorgonio? Really?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Latest news from a buddy in Wrightwood is that the rain which has been washing out roads up three has just turned to snow.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

http://www.mthigh.com/photos/

Daily pics. They dealt with slush this morning.
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

The Mt. Baldy road is clear till the bridge just 100 yards beyond the visitor center. It is closed for public higher up. It is ONLY open for residents.

As of at 7:28 12/23/2010.

This is the snow level.

According to the maintenance crew, it will take some time to repair the damage caused by the storm.

My friend took off to Bear Flat trail this morning.

Shin
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Just heard that the road is open all the way up. :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

8) Like!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Road is definately open all the way. The part that washed out is all dirt now. Pretty well packed in, just hopefully no more huge torrential rains
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for all of the updates!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Dave G wrote: Just heard that the road is open all the way up. :D
We were high on the Bear Canyon trail when they opened the road. We could see the line of cars starting up the Wanker Flat road. What a mess!
Nunc est bibendum
solar

Post by solar »

simonov wrote:
Dave G wrote: Just heard that the road is open all the way up. :D
We were high on the Bear Canyon trail when they opened the road. We could see the line of cars starting up the Wanker Flat road. What a mess!
Was that on Sunday?
This morning, Monday 12/27 the Forest Service was turning people around at the fire station.
Took a hike up to Sunset Peak instead of IHC.
Looking down from the ridge, there was no traffic moving past the Trout Ponds.
Looked like Buckhorn lodge was jumping, tho'!

Upon returning to the car there was about 20 cars parked in the Mt Baldy Ranch RV Park turnout. The people were just standing around starring at the snow that was... so close, but oh so far!!!

Sunset Peak is pretty cool!
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Just got back from the area with taco,the road is blocked off to residents only.

Though you can get in if you go really early in the am to avoid that as we did and were also advised by the nice gentleman working the roadblock.=D

When we were leaving at about 3:00 ,people were just walking up the road in hords lol jam packed traffic a good ways down.

Manker flats and up till the skilifts had a bunch of gravel trucks doing round about runs and road work.

A bit of wind,Snow/weather was very good.
simonov

Post by simonov »

solar wrote:
simonov wrote: We were high on the Bear Canyon trail when they opened the road. We could see the line of cars starting up the Wanker Flat road. What a mess!
Was that on Sunday?
This morning, Monday 12/27 the Forest Service was turning people around at the fire station.
Since the repaired road is just gravel, I suspect they graciously opened the road on Sunday only to allow the Mt Baldy Ski Area, as well as the Snowcrest, etc, to take advantage of the big holiday storm. And maybe to allow hikers into Icehouse Canyon, since the parking lot quickly filled with cars, as can be seen here:

Maybe they closed the road again today so they can continue working on it and making the repairs more permanent in time for this next weekend.

Just guessing. It was definitely open yesterday.
Nunc est bibendum
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

http://www.mtbaldy.com/

This is from the Ski Area Web site:

"Temporary Road Closures:
The San Bernardino County Department of Public Works has done a phenomenal job of repairing and clearing the road to Mt Baldy ski area after our recent storm. Although we received over 25 inches of rain and nearly 3 feet of snow, the county crews were able to make the roads passable and safe for access to the ski area. The county will be doing maintenance and repair today (Monday) and tomorrow (Tuesday). They will delay the balance of the work until later to enable the skiing public to enjoy skiing during the holidays Although this huge storm brought torrential rains, it brought some of the most phenomenal snow for skiing in years..

If you are going to ski or snowboard tomorrow (Tuesday) you must be up to the ski area parking lot about 9:00 am to avoid road closures for uphill traffic. Please print out this webpage or your reservation and bring it up with you.

We should be open and accessible all day Wednesday-Sunday thanks to the county. Note during these days try to arrive at the ski area as early as possible to avoid any road block due to the heavy traffic that may come from snow play."