SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Oh boy.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

The Mt. Baldy Web Cam shows what appears to be snow, but I can't tell for sure.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

This is directly from the NOAA webpage for 9,500 feet close to the summit of Baldy
This Afternoon: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 39. South wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: A chance of snow showers before 11pm, then a slight chance of rain showers. Some thunder is also possible. Snow level 8100 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. South wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

My Nephew and I hiked up the Baldy Ski Hut Trail this morning and the rain turned into snow at about 8k'. It was snowing pretty hard by the time we got up to the ridge, but little or no accumulation at that point--not quite cold enough. We turned back there because Nephew hadn't gotten the memo about BRING WINTER/RAIN GEAR and was wearing a cotton sweatshirt with shorts and had no gloves. :x It was too foggy to see the summit, so I couldn't tell if anything was sticking up there. It sure was fun seeing snowflakes again! :D

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Al Gore is REALLY freaking out :roll:
mve

Post by mve »

unbelievable -- another year went by (almost) ...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Here is a link to my favorite weather blog:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/clark/ ... eekend.asp

I am that much of a hiker nerd. Perhaps more.
In the southern California resorts 1 to 2 feet of snow seem likely by the end of the weekend.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I seem to be free Thanksgiving weekend. Will the snow be consolidated by then?
Nunc est bibendum
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Looks dry from tuesday on, with wind and still freezing temps I sure hope so
norma r

Post by norma r »

why wait for Tuesday? packing my gear!...
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

so far, no snow below about 7,500 ft.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'm going up baldy between storms tomorrow morning. If you see a youngin with overkill orange boots it is I!

Will post pics if its not too foggy
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Looking good this morning!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Too bad it only lasted about 2 hours. 2-4" avg across the mtns from 5,000- 7,000 ft. Maybe a a decent amount more (6-12"+) above 8,500 ft as the rain yesterday might have been all snow up that high.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Baldy was GREAT today! Should have brought crampons. Winter is here. Hopefully it will stay awhile. Pix to come...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yay!
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Greetings!

I will have family visiting from Europe this w-e and I was thinking of taking them on a stroll to either Baden Powell or Ice house saddle.

Can someone share any info regarding the snow conditions? Would it require crampons & ice axe?

TIA.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

https://eispiraten.com/ftopic3265-0.php

Pay attention to post number 5 and beyond. I'm a newbie, and feel fortunate that I found out what can happen on a relatively benign slope. Who knows what would have happened had I made it past that point, and into more treacherous areas where the dangers could have been worse. If you and your family have equipment and experience, by all means bring it and enjoy the mountain.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Baden Powell will very likely still have snow. I would much rather take relatives up to Icehouse Saddle, as it's a tad safer.

Cheers mate
norma r

Post by norma r »

I agree with Taco. With no new snow you are going to encounter hard snow and icy conditions down low where the old snow has melted then frozen at night. if you don't mind driving further, the South Fork trail of San Gorgonio does not have any steep stuff to Horse Camp and Poop-out Hill beyond and is very beautiful. I find it prettier than the hike to the Baldy Ski Hut. they both have a traverse that when icy will sketch a newbie out if they are just in hiking boots.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

norma r wrote: ...if you don't mind driving further, the South Fork trail of San Gorgonio does not have any steep stuff to Horse Camp and Poop-out Hill beyond and is very beautiful. ...
I like your suggestion.

South Fork is indeed beautiful. I have been there a few times and the crowds are almost non-existent. Sadly, Icehouse trail is looking more than a mall during the holiday season.

I just hope I won't require chains for the car and crampons for everyone when going to Gorgonio...

Thanks to all for your input.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Pineapple Express!

climberslacker

Post by climberslacker »

Do you guys know what the conditions will be like after this storm thats rolling through rolls through?

So I guess Post Christmas?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Not too surprisingly, one of the weather wankers over on the San Gorgonio forum says he wouldn't doubt over 10 feet of snow on Baldy when all is said and done.

I think he's smoking too much San Gorgonzola, but I have no basis for thinking that.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Bens Weather is a great forecast for the Big Bear area. http://bensweather.com/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If it gets cold, we'll have a great start. If not, probably next to nothing.
He219

Post by He219 »

Doesn't look like it will get cold enough. The pineapple express will just wash into the ocean instead of sticking on our summits.
Overnight low temps are projected to only be 33F by Wednesday night at Baldy Village
turtle

Post by turtle »

He219 wrote: Doesn't look like it will get cold enough.
The forecast for the higher elevations just got a lot more promising! :shock:

Maybe one of the math-savy folks from the HSS can add up the numbers at the upper end of the range and convert to feet!
turtle

Post by turtle »

From Hawaii with love... woohoo!

whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

As people get out and about, please share any observations you've got re: avalanche hazards, general conditions, etc.

If snow levels drop as expected, we're likely to see a period of considerable+ danger conditions.

Avalanche Awareness: http://www.avalanche.org/tutorial/tutorial.html

Be safe out there!