It's the best time of the year for Sturtevant Falls (18 Dec)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

We scheduled this hike with the kids for November, but were rained out. So for December we decided to go, rain or shine. Unfortunately, the kids didn't feel the same way and we learned at 10:00pm on Friday night they canceled their involvement. I was informed of this while I was waiting in the school parking lot on Saturday morning, so I decided to go anyway, without the kids.

This is a pretty easy two mile (each way) hike from Chantry Flat in Big Santa Anita Canyon. Incredibly, I had never been to Chantry Flat before, or hiked the Gabrielino Trail. At elevations just above 2,000 feet, this area never appealed to me as the higher parts of the mountains do. For example, there are no conifer forests here, just oaks and alders, and I am guessing the exposed parts of the trails can get pretty warm in the summer.

But a rainy day in winter was the perfect opportunity to experience this magical location for the first time. Aside from the cool temperatures, we were spared what I am told are crowded trails and parking lots on most weekends.

The trail is dotted with cabins that are serviced by the Adams Pack Station, which we visited prior to the hike, and where we were treated to a tour by Rich, one of the caretakers.

I am completely fascinated by these gentle, curious pack donkeys. I am also a bit saddened they have to spend so much of their lives carrying heavy loads. Still, in their off hours they seem to have it pretty good, with the run of the barn, plenty to eat and the companionship of other donkeys, which I believe is important to them.

The Adams Pack Station also has a few goats and at least one mule.

The rest of the pics (not many) are here.
Nunc est bibendum
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Good to see you in the lower elevations :D

The city of Sierra Madre closes off that section of the front range quite a bit during rainy weather. http://sierramadrepio.blogspot.com/
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice hair
norma r

Post by norma r »

Glad you went anyways Mitch! it's a beautiful canyon isn't it? i was fascinated by the history of the canyon and the cabins. i found it a precious hidden jewel a stone's throw from L.A.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote: nice hair
x2