Mtn Lion Sighting!

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

WHOO HOO!

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=909083

Wanted to revisit some of my earlier trips in the year now that the weather is cooler.

It seems I did better but I have not checked the stats...

The road was recently cleared of rock falls and slides so my down hill speeds where respectable.

as I rounded a corner I spotted what I thought was a Bobcat, in retrospect I thought this was so because there where spots, not as I told my friend that there where no spots.

This is why I thought it was a "Bob"

Any who it ran along the road until it realized it could not out run me, shortly before this I realized this was not a Bob but a mountain lion! This was based on the long black tipped tail.

The Mtn Lion stopped on the side of the road crouching (clinging with the claws) to the hillside head turned ears back. There was some dark areas on the face especially around the eyes but the side of the body was unspotted and the tawny color most associate with Mtn Lions

I was very temped to stop and get out the camera but quickly discarded, that brain storm. As mom couldn't be too far, or this little one could attack as it felt very threatened

I was thrilled to see this rarely seen creature especially so closely, I figure many (most) would not (their loss)

I'd always envisioned my 1st Mtn Lion sighting being a fleeting glimpse from a distance.

Wow what a lucky day!
norma r

Post by norma r »

mattmaxon wrote: Wow what a lucky day!
:D Very coo! i hope someday to be as lucky as you.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

awesome!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

So cool! I gotta start solo mountain biking at dusk! :lol:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Very cool. I am always hoping to see one. I have seen more wildlife mountain biking than hiking, I guess because you are going so much faster and sneak up on them.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool. AND you lived to tell the tale (tail?).

HJ