Winter pants

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

In addition to my slip and fall on the Bear Flat trail a couple weeks ago, I suffered the indignity of a major wardrobe malfunction with my winter pants. The side zipper broke and I was left bare to the world, so I had to chuck them. I bought those pants before I got into winter hiking, and I don't think they were really suited for the job anyhow. So now that I'm in the market for some new ones what should I be looking for? Ski/snowboard pants, or are there particular pants for winter mountaineering? TIA.

P.S. Looking forward to Jan 8th!

jeff
mve

Post by mve »

Jeff,

I've been very happy with Patagonia Alpine Guide pants:
http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-al ... -pant-mens

They are tough, breathable and have great pockets that don't interfere with a harness if you ever need to use one. Not completely water proof though, but will shed water and dry very fast.

-HTH
simonov

Post by simonov »

The hot ticket for winter pants these days seems to be those based on Schoeller® softshell textiles such as Dryskin and 3XDRY . Early this year I bought a pair of REI Acme pants made from Schoeller Dryskin and I really couldn't be happier.

With a set of thin long johns underneath, they keep me warm and dry. I even stayed dry last January during a snow travel and glacier rescue course that saw me spending a lot of time laying in the snow.
Nunc est bibendum
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Thank you!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I picked up a pair of REI Taku pants on sale - I love them so far. They are waterproof and wind-resistant. They aren't lined, but I run a little hot and don't get cold in them if I'm moving. Wore them to a very windy summit of Baldy on New Years - had zero issues. If you're sitting on snow, you'll feel the cold though. Breathe well (also w/vents on side of thigh), keep me 100% dry, and seem fairly durable.

My concern is the body oil thing...I'm told gortex and similar materials lose their ability to block water when they get all oily and such. I normally don't wear a liner pant under my Taku Pants, or my Taku jacket for that matter in warmer weather...just a short-sleeve shirt. I've noticed slight loss of total security from moisture in spots on the jacket, and I'm worried my pants may go that way eventually. Food for thought if you're going down that road material-wise.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

You can alway wash the Gore-Tex with a friendly detergent and re-apply DWR. I have had good success with a number of jackets doing this.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

DukeJH wrote: You can alway wash the Gore-Tex with a friendly detergent and re-apply DWR. I have had good success with a number of jackets doing this.
I'll find out specific instructions for dealing with this fabric - pretty sure it's similar to Gore-Tex treatment, but not 100% sure. Was told that cleaning it, and then tossing it in the dryer on low heat would also refresh the waterproofing
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

You were told correctly, Burchey. The low heat should reinvigorate the Gore-Tex waterproofability. Glad the Taku's are working out so well!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Old school...

Burchey

Post by Burchey »

PackerGreg wrote: Old school...

Reminds me - watched The North Face the other day, it's amazing what the old school climbers made do with. Boots, clothing, etc. We're all really pretty wimpy if you think about it with our windstopper and our avalanche beacons.