"Whiting Woods" (Verdugos) Cougar tracking 11/28/1

TRs for ranges in California.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I recently noticed a news item about two (two!) mountain lions being sighted in the Verdugos. I tend to be skeptical about sightings, because so often they are just misidentified dogs, coyotes, or bobcats. But, the people who live in the foothills have seen plenty of bobcats and should know the difference, so with encouragement from Matt, we went to check it out.

Conditions were great - it had rained lightly the night before, making the fire road a clean slate of soft, damp dirt. I really had no expectation of seeing lion tracks (because I didn't think they could survive in that tiny range, and even if they could, it's always a needle in a haystack trying to find them). We instantly saw a very fresh bobcat scrape. (As Matt described, "still smoking!"). We then followed Bob's cute tracks all the way up the trail/firebreak to the road at the top. About halfway up was a pile of feathers where he had breakfasted on morning dove.

Tiny cat tracks - about 3cm across at the heel pad

I was surprised and excited to see the first lion track. (I think Matt spotted it first).

(that is a doubled track - the back foot landed on top of the right)

Super thrilled to follow a line of them a short distance (that never happens!).

(The small tracks are the bobcat)

Jumped around like a kid in a candy store when we saw the path split into two parallel lines of tracks. TWO LIONS! Both adult, and both very close in size. (Probably brothers, dispersing, but not yet gone their separate ways.)

It was at this point Matt started expressing his thoughts on perhaps choosing a different place to ride his mountain bike in the evenings after work.

Poop!

We followed the tracks for quite a ways, when they suddenly disappeared. A little searching found disturbed dirt over the embankment - the lions had come up to the road from down in one of the canyons, where they no doubt have a lair full of crushed mountain bike helmets, and the bones of neighborhood pets and small children.

I kid of course. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And being jumped on from behind and having your neck vertebrae severed. Fear....and that. 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol:

That's a lotta tracks!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

TacoDelRio wrote: :lol:

That's a lotta tracks!
Cougars and poop! Thought you'd enjoy it! :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm more a fan of the other kind of cougars... ;-)

Quick question: where did you learn tracking? Did you teach yourself, or go to a Tom Brown-esque class or something?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice.

Will they end up fighting to the death for control of the range or will one just get the boot back into the San Gabriels?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Taco wrote: where did you learn tracking? Did you teach yourself, or go to a Tom Brown-esque class or something?
Mostly self taught. The main book is "Mammal Tracks and Sign" by Mark Elbroch, for ID and figuring out the size of the animal based on the stride and stuff like that.

I did take a really good class last year put on by "Earth Skills". It was in Malibu Creek State Park, and cost $65. That guy (Jim something...) got into really cool stuff like seeing where an animal has paused or turned its head, based on the way the track is smeared or how dirt is pushed up more on one side than the other. I think he works with the military & SAR for human tracking too.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote: Will they end up fighting to the death for control of the range or will one just get the boot back into the San Gabriels?
I'd bet once they figure out there won't be enough deer for two there, one of them will wise up and go back.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very cool, thanks CM.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

cougarmagic wrote: It was at this point Matt started expressing his thoughts on perhaps choosing a different place to ride his mountain bike in the evenings after work
Yeah... Probably not the best place to be looking like deer around dusk and dawn :shock:
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

2 lions! Very cool.

We live on the ther side of the Verdugos and hike up there a lot. In fact my wife just called me en route to her morning hike to tell me that she just saw a large bobcat crossing the road at Belaire and Harvard with a big rabbit in it's mouth! It's weird, but I see more wildlife here in Burbank than I ever see up in the San Gabriels. (now if only I could spy a Bighorn up at the radio towers)