April 11-14 Weekend Alpine Stuff! Partners wanted!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

W.A.S., apparently.

Anywho, anyone wanna tag along for an ascent of Baldy by the north Face?

Baldy Badly should be a straight snow climb. The one with the Black Pyramid (mixed section down low) should be more technically challenging, with exposed mixed climbing, and it moves up a ridge, instead of a couloir (good on warm days...)

406? Heme?

There are a buncha other things good to go from Stockton Flats area. Harwood's North Face has some nice lines and lotsa opportunities for crappy protection... got a line up from Dogbone Canyon as well, since there's nothing else interesting going up Dawson yet.

Gonna give Telegraph Peak's Northwest Face another shot tomorrow after work. It's a fun one as well.

Tele's NWF:

Anyone interested? Might be a hike, then climb, then hike back and have a beer at Stockton Flat, sleep, and repeat kinda deal. NF of Baldy is more of a Wanker Flats to camping spot, then climb, and head down deal.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I'm only free sunday-monday, so if you're doing one of those two-dayers on those days i'll meet up with you.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm good to go all four days.

Anyone want a two-day sunday-monday deal? Good for that one, Bert, or just wanna go for a single day out on one of those two days?
Lance

Post by Lance »

I'm good for a one-dayer on Sat if your plans allow and you don't mind me tagging along.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That works out great.

Bert, sun-mon sound good?

Post by 406 »

Taco,

I might be up for something Sat and/or Sunday. "Might" because my good skis are in the shop and also NWS calls for highs in the 70's around 9000 ft?! Also, I don't have gear for mixed routes( aluminum crampons and 1 ice axe).

Still interested, so let me know what you guys decide on.

p.s. do you know if you need 4x4 to drive to Stocken Flats ( assuming no snow on road) ? I seem to remember some photos of you stuck in the snow in that area?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Sun-Mon good for me.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have made it up Stockton Flats Road (3n06) in my light RWD truck many times, except when there is snow deep enough to bury a wheel. Bert has done fine as well in his CRV. I do not think there is enough snow to cause a problem. It's more ground clearance than anything, trying not to leave a hole in your oil pan or break anything important. Lotsa rocks.

406, The North Face of Baldy should be OK with aluminum crampons... I have a spare set of steel strap crampons, and a spare titanium pick/steel spike/aluminium shaft axe if you need one.

Meet up for a Sunday with us, 406, and we will do a sun-mon, Bert? I feel more comfortable doing the NF in a two-day period, unless we start very early on SUnday and do it in a day, which is obviously completely possible.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm tempted to do the NF on Sunday. Are you guys still planning to do the NF by first going over the summit from MF? Do you think rope work is needed to descend that couloir (I don't have a harness or any rope experience)?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

For the route I personally choose to do this weekend, all you need are crampons, axe, helmet, etc etc. Nothing technical. There is a section on a route just west of that which I would choose to bring gear for, as it is technical-looking from a distance.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Cool, that'll work for me. If you guys decide to do the NF in one day on Sunday, I'll tag along. Just let me know what time you all are meeting up at Manker Flats.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sunday morning, leaving Manker Flats at say, 0600 sound good? As in, packed up and walking up San Antonio Falls road at or before 0600. The earlier, the better.

Up and over Baldy, to Dawson, down into the canyon, then up, complete.

Anyone up for something on Saturday or Monday? I might try something up Harwood from Stockton Flats one of those two days.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hey Taco, looks like it's going to be ridiculously hot this weekend (mid 90's in the valley and 80's in the mtns), which probably means way more rockfall. Do you think this is still even doable or do we need to go earlier like 0400 or 0500?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I do not at all mind going at any time of day or night.

It will be warmer, but I am perosnally not worried. (I am going regardless)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

BOOM

Sunday, meet at Manker Flats at 0500 (5 AM).

Monday, my buddy and I are going to a "secret" climbing area, meeting at the top of R39 at about 0600 or so. Trad climbing, or anyone just looking to get out, welcome along.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Whoops. Gotta flake on this one...stars just didn't align. I'll probably end up doing something during the week to make up, though.

Post by 406 »

I can't make this one...you guys have fun!