Iron to Baldy Traverse

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
James

Post by James »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words on the traverse trip report. That was a really fun hike. The fall weather definitely made it nice.

As for the mine hike, I like that picture of the 3rd and 4th class rocks. Lots of fun scrambling!

At the same time though snow will be very cool if it lasts.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

TacoDelRio wrote:LD,

There are some sport routes in Cascade Canyon from the 80's. That's what I was looking for, though I think they're lower, as I doubt the climbers accessed via Ontario.
Routes on the North Side of Cascade Canyon were accessed from below- though the one time I went looking for them with wife in tow (in '82 or so), she got sketched so we turned around before I ever got there.

FYI- the routes were done around '78/ '79 by Keith Cunning and Ed Kaufer.
They were trad routes - done ground up, though likely a fair amount of scrubbing got done because the rock is likely choss (though Keith and Ed claimed Cascade Canyon's rock resembled the face climbing on Middle Cathedral).

Not sure if the crag will ever get re-adopted. Slab/ sub-vert climbing has sort of gone out of fashion.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks Sewelymon

I'll check it out again someday. Climbing is in style as long as it's fun, IMHO.