Iron to Baldy Traverse

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
James

Post by James »

Knowing we had a long day Saturday I figured a grilled chicken sandwich, fries and beer from the Baldy Lodge would hit the spot. Well, it would have hit the spot even if there was nothing planned for Saturday but might as well pound the calories now. Met Shin at the Lodge Friday evening and we drove up to Manker Flats where we met Ryan later that night.

Knowing there was a red flag warning issued for Saturday 6am-6pm it was a very calm night camping at Manker. After midnight, boom! The winds came and rained branches and pinecones down everywhere. A few headlamps passed on their way toward the ski hut trail.

RING! @#$@#$! The usual response to a very early alarm clock or in this case cell phone alarm. We assembled our gear into one of the cars leaving the other cars at Manker. We made the long drive to Heaton Flat trailhead. Lots of cars and campers along the road to the trailhead and the parking lot was nearly full.

Stepping out into the parking lot was like stepping into a hot, dry wind tunnel. Mid-November and the strong winds were still quite warm. We got our permit, helped jump start a car and were off. Once on the trail it did not take long for jackets and long sleeves to come off. The bottom part of the trail to Iron is hot even in the dark. We hit the ridgeline and the breeze was a lot cooler.

Bright stars and one very large planet off to the east greeted us as we ascended the "bumps" along Iron's south ridge. "Bumps" That cracks me up. Makes them sound so easy and gentle. Right. So over the bumps we went and almost bumped into a camper high up on the ridge. On his way to West Baldy eventually. Continuing on, some morning light made its way to us on the descent to Allison Saddle. We were glad we would not be descending Iron today.

We paused for some photos at the saddle, the sun not yet over the mountains. We started up the ridge, getting as far as we could before the sun hit us. By the time the sun hit us the breeze was chilly. Up, ouch, yucca, scree, pines. A good sign the pine.

We hit the Iron summit and took a break, had a snack, more photos and eyed the San Antonio ridge ahead. This was going to be the fun part. Finally, some rocks!

Packs on and down we go. Off Iron and onto the ridge. If the east ridge of Mt. Russell was like the back of a stegosaurus then the SA ridge was like the back of a lobster. We took the advice and stayed on the spine. That meant more rock hopping, climbing, navigating. We had amazing views from the wind-cleared skies and impressive drop offs on the northeast side of the ridge.

The notches were great fun after that Iron ascent. And Gunsight Notch especially. We went straight down the middle of it. A fun scramble with our shadows from the morning sun cast against the cliff wall. Awesome.

But Gunsight Notch was not the crux for us today. We knew what was coming, buckthorn. We climbed back up the ridge after the notches and found ourselves with a magnificent view of West Baldy and the remaining ridge. On that remaining ridge was a large swath of unavoidable buckthorn. What I wouldn't give for a Sawzall right now.

Stepping into it, hearing the expletives fly as the thorns make their presence felt. Definitely the crux of the trip. @#%&thorn!

The ridge completed we had a last look up at West Baldy. A nice, big climb to round out the day. Up we go. The pines are tall and the going not so bad. Further on though, tired and West Baldy goes on and on. Through rocks, low lying pines, loose dirt and scree. Then a small, relatively flat spot as the trees thin out. And the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island as clear as can be. Boats too. An incredible sight. The wind has given us some rare views today and it is getting colder.

Can't stop for long, still a ways to go. Almost blown over by the cold wind. Pants flapping loudly.

A quick snack at West Baldy, some high fives then we make quick work of the route over to Baldy. The wind is blasting and cold. It's awesome up there. Can see for miles and miles. Looking back at Iron, it looks so small. Like one of the "bumps" on the way to its summit. And that magnificent ridge. Almost too short, wish it was more accessible, some fun scrambling there.

Time to go. We bailed off the summit, past the hut, and watched the last of an amazing red sunset. Almost dark now on the fire road we couldn't believe we had just finished the traverse. Planning the next big adventure.

Photos: http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt30 ... 011-13-10/
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Great work guys!

Shin~Congratulations; you found yet another way to climb Baldy! If we get good snow this winter you'll have to give the NE face a shot and then you'll have it covered from every direction. :D

Too bad about the Buckthorn. A couple of weeks ago, Phil and I cleared a nice path through it--guess you guys missed it. :wink:

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Ryan, Shin and James - nice report, great pictures.

I read somewhere that there's a way to avoid that Buckthorn, anyone can confirm this? doesn't look like fun to have to go through all that crap - lopers anyone? :D

James, what time did you actually start? Finish?

Ryan did you get any of your classic panorama shots?
James

Post by James »

Thanks everyone. It was a great trip even with the buckthorn.

Dave, we did see a few lines through the buckthorn, one went past some rocks. We tried to follow that one then just pick our way through as many of the low spots as we could. Maybe they just grew back or we missed your path. Oh well, something to look for next time. :)

It was a 14-hour day, left Heaton at 3:40am and got to Manker at 5:40pm.

NE side of Baldy...sounds interesting!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very well written! Good job guys!
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

As always nice trip report James, congrats Shin and Ryan..

Like the pictures...

mark
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much.

This hike was very special because it had every elements such as distance,elevation,route finding,some technical skills,weather,planing,and team work in one day. We enjoyed every seconds of this hike and enjoyed each other very much.

Photos are: http://picasaweb.google.com/snmtbaldy

Shin
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice TR James, love the photos James and Shin! I just love those rocks in that area :D Sounds like a really fun (albeit long) day. Good job!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

What a great report and pictures! Thank you all for sharing them.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Congrats on the traverse! There is some really nice scenery on that ridge.
lilbitmo wrote:I read somewhere that there's a way to avoid that Buckthorn, anyone can confirm this? doesn't look like fun to have to go through all that crap - lopers anyone? :D
When I was on the ridge two years ago, there was a way to bypass all of the buckthorn by contouring to the north side of the ridge. I remember there being 5 or 6 groves of buckthorn on that ridge and thinking it would be suicidal to try to punch directly through them :)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Tim wrote:Congrats on the traverse! There is some really nice scenery on that ridge.
lilbitmo wrote:I read somewhere that there's a way to avoid that Buckthorn, anyone can confirm this? doesn't look like fun to have to go through all that crap - lopers anyone? :D
When I was on the ridge two years ago, there was a way to bypass all of the buckthorn by contouring to the north side of the ridge. I remember there being 5 or 6 groves of buckthorn on that ridge and thinking it would be suicidal to try to punch directly through them :)
It was your report I remember reading, I almost thru your name out but had contractor working on my tenth water leak in 7 years so I was a little preoccupied and didn't have the time to look it up, thanks for confirming that Tim :D
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Dave,
I have been in the rut of Ski hut trail. I know that I have to get out and try some new trail soon.
I have to try South ridge,NE route,and Dawson/Pine some day.

Do you know the direction to "La pis la zu li", a blue colored rock, mine in Mt. Baldy?

Shin
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

snmtbaldy wrote:Do you know the direction to "La pis la zu li", a blue colored rock, mine in Mt. Baldy?
I've heard of this before.

Info.

ACME Map based on above info.
James

Post by James »

Shin, count me in on the new routes. Hopefully with snow soon!

Now I'm curious what the traverse is like in the opposite direction. 8)
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Nice job James and a great trip report.

I did'nt know there was an easy way through the dreaded buckthorn section except "just grin and bear it".

Dave and Phil - you guys deserve a medal for cutting a route through that stuff.

Cheers,

Phil
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Congratulations, to you all.
Loved the detail in the T/R, too!
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi James,
I was thinking the same thing, from Baldy to Iron, today.
Even though, I said that I was not going to do it again Saturday.
Going opposite direction may be easier??

We could have taken more direct route from the end of traverse to West Baldy summit. We hiked in the trees but there is a wide opened area looks much easier to hike up straight.

Let's do it next year.

Shin
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi HikeUp,
Thank you very much for posting the Map of La pis mine. It is a great help.
I definately check it out soon.
Shin
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

hvydrt wrote:Image
That circle looks like it is in Barrett Canyon (one north of Cascade Cyn - where the Lapis Lazuli deposit is located per that link above). I could be wrong...all I know is from that link! :D

Where'd you get the picture?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Don't try to reach that mine from the road unless you wanna bushwhack for a few years. The key is to go in from the summit of Ontario.

The master (of disaster) has spoken.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Ive always seen that and wondered what was up there. Always thought about trying to access it from the road but it looked awful, from the summit it is!
LD

Post by LD »

Have to agree with Taco if you go the wrong way it’s a major brush fest. Trying to gain the S/W ridge where it meets Stoddard Road past Stoddard Flat is an exercise in futility. Way too much brush and slow going. Don’t even think about Barret Canyon from what I saw from above.
If you go up Cascade Canyon you can make it to about 5000’ before the canyon walls start to narrow and the fallen tree’s and rocks really slow you down. Plus you run into some major poison oak areas.
The best way I found is to go up Cascade Canyon mainly staying to the north side of the stream to about 4500’ and get on that spur ridge going N/E. If you follow the ridge on the north side you stay in the trees and out of all the brush. There is actually a small use trail you come along here and there. I couldn’t figure out what it would have been for but after reading there was a mine up there a few years ago it makes sense. Route finding is still kind of difficult with steep drop offs and shitty rock but you can make to bump 6579’ in about 3 hours. And from there it’s an easy hike over to the main ridge. I wish I would have known I was only 200’ above that mine, I would have checked it out.
This is actually a pretty cool hike with navigational challenges,3rd and 4th class rock if you want it and you’re out of the sun almost the whole way underneath a canopy of trees. Nice views of Cascade and Barret Canyon. Even found an area with a bunch of climbing ropes and steel cables attached to trees around 5400’. Not sure what that was about. Maybe left over from firefighters?
Had planned on finishing this route and continuing over to Ontario Pk this Saturday but it looks like the weather is going to ruin my plans.

Cascade Canyon where it meets the main ridgeline

Ontario Ridge from bump 6566'

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LD,

There are some sport routes in Cascade Canyon from the 80's. That's what I was looking for, though I think they're lower, as I doubt the climbers accessed via Ontario.
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Hvydrt,LD,and Taco,
Thank you for the very good areal picture. The circled area must be the mine site.

Thank you for all good information about the mine. I am very impressed with everyone's knowledge about the mountains. You guys seems to know every corners of this mountain.

Hi Taco,
Can you organize a small adventure hike to this area when the weather gets better?

Hi LD,
Can I tag along with you when you plan to hike this area next time if it doesn't require any rope or harness? I have a harness but never used it.

Sorry, I am off from the title subject.

Shin
LD

Post by LD »

TacoDelRio wrote:LD,
There are some sport routes in Cascade Canyon from the 80's. That's what I was looking for, though I think they're lower, as I doubt the climbers accessed via Ontario.
I have some nice shots of the north face of that Canyon. That's probably what you're talking about. One shot has some sort of large hole or cave with a tree growing in it. I'll try to post them later.It's above all that shit in the canyon so it wouldn't be fun gaining access to it.
snmtbaldy wrote: Hi LD,
Can I tag along with you when you plan to hike this area next time if it doesn't require any rope or harness? I have a harness but never used it.
Shin
I have this Friday off so I was going to trek up there again to check out that mine since it looks like it will be the last chance for a while once this snow moves in this weekend. Let me now if you can make it. No ropes or harness needed
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi LD,
Thank you for your invitation but sorry, I won't be able to make it this Friday because I committed to show up WPSMB group hike with Kurt Wedberg on Mt. Baldy. I know Mt. Baldy is there all the time but I can't change it this time.

I'll leave any weekend open or accordingly to your schedule after this week if you plan to go back this area.

Thank you.
Shin
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If I was to organize a hike to this mine, we would start in Icehouse Canyon and hike up to Ontario, probably via Falling Rock Canyon, as that's most direct. A car could be left at a certain point I'll elaborate upon later.

This all depends on what this weekend's Canadian weather system brings in.
Zach

Post by Zach »

:lol: