Magic Mountain -The Hard Way-

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=869710

I'd planned this a few weeks back. I'd heard somewhere there was a trail to Magic Mtn from the Soledad Cyn side.

This way seemed to be the only possible route.

To call it a trail is to denigrate trails everywhere, it is an unmaintained Old Road Grade, and firebreak. Not a trail.

I did successfully arrive at the summit and return via this route, not really planning on doing it again.

Someone had done this trip on a motorcycle, I'm guessing 1-2 years ago. How the hell they got down a few spots is a mystery to me

There are nice views of the surrounding mountains and different perspectives on familiar landmarks.

The only fauna I saw was a late season rattler

Saw recent deer tracks, older buck, some recent fox. Older signs of coyote, lots of ravens / crows soaring overhead.

I did pick up 2 ticks that I just flicked off

This was a relatively cool late fall day, and the return trip was getting warm to hot, I'd relegate this to late fall, winter, and early spring when the weather permits. Any other time would be unpleasant to down right dangerous
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Hey M.M. !

This is funny. Evil twin Jake hiked up 3N17.7 yesterday and descended Dorothy Canyon, just below Magic Mountain into Pacoima Canyon. His trip report a little later.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Great pics, Matt. Your camera shoots really well. I've never hiked west of Brown Mountain much and have always wondered what its like over there. Thanks for posting.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Elwood wrote:Hey M.M. !

This is funny. Evil twin Jake hiked up 3N17.7 yesterday and descended Dorothy Canyon, just below Magic Mountain into Pacoima Canyon. His trip report a little later.
I'd be very interested in that TR... It should be on the DL though as the RAT PATROL is out there....
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

MattCav wrote:Great pics, Matt. Your camera shoots really well. I've never hiked west of Brown Mountain much and have always wondered what its like over there. Thanks for posting.
Glad to share

I got lots more trips

http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=68950

I've hiked extensively on Mt Lukens and the surrounding mountains

Matt
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

So you're saying it was bush whacking on a graded road most of the way?

I played around near the trailhead two years back, found that old mine sans barbed wire - http://dav.me/gallery/v/hiking/LosAngel ... anyonMine/
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

davantalus wrote:So you're saying it was bush whacking on a graded road most of the way?
Nope

The road ends about 2.75 miles out, then becomes unmaintained firebreak

There is light brush to about 3.7 miles where it changes from Buckwheat brush, Yerba Santa, & Manzinta to light Srcub Oak Chaparral.

By San Gabriel mtns standards the brush isn't a problem

Matt