Eispiraten gun nuts?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Except for a test of one of our new shotgun stocks last month at the LAPD Davis Training Center I haven't been shooting since January. Getting rusty. I need to get out again soon.

Now that colder weather is coming I'd like to schedule a session either out in the desert near Joshua Tree or on a rented range at the Burro Canyon facility above the San Gabriel River. I'd also like to invite a small handful (for safety reasons) of forum members who are interested in shooting. I have a lot of experience introducing first-time shooters to firearms safety and handling, so if you are a curious noob here is a good chance to play with everything from .22 handguns to shotguns and WWII battle rifles.

Here is my brother-in-law enjoying such a shooting session in December 2008:

The Burro Canyon facility is close and convenient, but most likely limited to 50 yards, making it more suitable for handguns, shotguns and .22 rifles. Out in the desert, I usually set up a 150 yard range.

I would want to limit each session to no more than five or six individuals; any more and it can become a bit of a zoo - and a hazard.

I haven't put anything on my calendar, but I will be going out soon. I was just throwing this out to see if any of the outdoorsy folks from this board were interested in joining me.
Nunc est bibendum
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

I'd love to come out and have my noob-ness eliminated. I have fired .22 pistols and shotguns, but never more than a few times. I fired the pistols at an indoor range for a school-wide competition shoot, and fired the shotgun geese hunting on the farm I worked at. Neither of these events had a particularly stringent set of rules or guidelines, so while I picked up on the common sense rules (like don't point your weapon at someone) I feel like there has to be a lot more to learn. Plus getting out and having some fun in the desert sounds awesome!

For that reason, as long as its not the 15th to 18th of October, I'm in.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've got no money, but I'm willing to help instruct/be a safety dood.

Been meaning to ask the dude at Burro how much their killhouse costs to rent out.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

They only rent the shoothouse to military or law enforcement agencies and legit training schools.

The rifle length ranges at Burro can be had on a weekend with around 4-6 weeks advance reservation (weekdays are considerably easier to reserve). I would highly recommend trying to secure one of the "North" ranges - they're separated from the main facility by a quarter mile and offer more privacy and flexibility in setup.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Well, gonna hafta become "legit", then. ;-) Or make my own.
simonov

Post by simonov »

The San Bernardino Fish & Game Commission recently published high quality maps showing where shooting is permitted in San Bernardino County:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fisha ... finala.pdf

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fisha ... _final.pdf

I am grateful for these fine maps, but a little dismayed because they clearly show that my favorite shooting spot in Coyote Lake near Joshua Tree is shotgun only (as is most of the county). People have been shooting rifles out there for years, and it's certainly no secret since there are actually homes visible from the shooting areas, but I don't want to take any chances of being hassled, especially when shooting "questionable" rifles like the AR-15 or my Saiga.

So I resolve this winter to study Google Earth and these maps to find some dirt roads out just west of Barstow to be explored for possible shooting and camping spots.

In the meantime, I'm trying to firm up a date for a Burro Canyon session.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've got a good spot north of the 58 and west of Barstow. Want the coords?
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote:I've got a good spot north of the 58 and west of Barstow. Want the coords?
Sure!
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

PM sent!
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Is this event still on the table by any chance?
simonov

Post by simonov »

CMC-OC wrote:Is this event still on the table by any chance?
Yes. I was exchanging e-mails with Jim, but he went quiet.

It's now looking like December.
Nunc est bibendum
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

As long as it still happens on a weekend before December 20th then I'm in!
He219

Post by He219 »

I'm down!

Maybe in Lytle Creek between Pine and Dawson in crampons?
:twisted:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's not a bad idea. 8)
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I've got a 4wd for the dirt road if someone will lend me their shotgun...will bring the ammo if I know what to get...better give me enough notice, I hear ammo sells out at Walmart the day it comes in.

I have shotgun and handgun experience, just currently don't own a shotgun but was thinking about getting one "just in case" I need one for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Anyhow please keep me posted on the date, I would like to get in on this.

thank you!
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

TracieB wrote: I've got a 4wd for the dirt road if someone will lend me their shotgun...will bring the ammo if I know what to get...better give me enough notice, I hear ammo sells out at Walmart the day it comes in.

Specific handgun ammo goes like hotcakes,but shotgun ammo is plentiful at any walmart.Though some walmarts do have a purchase limit on ammunition.The only walmart I found that doesnt have limit is at the upland location.