Campground status

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Howdy folks,

Haven't had a chance to get up the 2 recently, I know Buckhorn is usually open until mid-november but I heard rumor it was closing early this year.

Anyone been up that way and gotten an eye-ful of the gate?
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

i was up the crest last weekend. Buckhorn is coned off, definitely closed for whatever reason. This link may help you out:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreat ... ngle.shtml
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

MattCav wrote:i was up the crest last weekend. Buckhorn is coned off, definitely closed for whatever reason. This link may help you out:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreat ... ngle.shtml

Thanks bud, I know that site but it's usually about three or four YEARS out of date (the bear warning for Buckhorn is super outdated, at least it was before the fire).

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out what it is they've got going on up there.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Hey dudes!

When I was through there on 8 August, there were signs all over Buckhorn indicating that it was closing up for rehab immediately following Labor Day weekend. I've seen no contradictory information since.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Yes, it closed for renovations after Labor Day weekend. It was the only time to realistically do it, since it's the slowest time of year, and the snow will be coming soon.

They are resurfacing and widening the road, parking spurs, etc. replacing all the restrooms with the newer SST version, and installing bear boxes at all the campsites. There may be a few other things they are doing, too that I'm not aware of. Call 818-899-1900 x228 for more info (G. Reponen)

I believe the price will go up to $20 a night, which is in line with most other sites for the type of facilities it will now have.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

MtnMan wrote:Call 818-899-1900 x228 for more info (G. Reponen)... I believe the price will go up to $20 a night...
Twenty bucks a night?! To help pay Gerry's salary in order that he dick around in the office some more and tell the few remaining employees that they ought not work in the field, lest they stray too far from radio reception; and to tell Howard to keep hiring volunteers so that the ANF doesn't spend "too much"?

Call that number and tell Reponen that you expect a full accounting of these rec fees, and that you expect to see results!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

P.S. Thankfully, Okamoto is finally retired.