Rick Kent accident 10/16/10

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

From Rick Kent's Facebook page
Had a great time in Englestead Canyon on Friday. Saturday not so good. At the 1st rap into Gunsight Canyon a huge boulder next to the rappel station decided to roll loose and I was in the way. The good news is that I managed not to fall 200 feet down the exposed face. Bad news is my lower left leg was crushed resulting in numerous fractures. Since we hadn't yet completed the 1st rap Darija was able to go for help as I sat in a precarious position. NPS SAR decided to bring in a chopper and used a short haul lift to pull me and my rescuer off the face. At the hospital in St George it took a plate and 9 screws to reattach all the fractured pieces. The foot surgery went about as well as could be expected though one or two things couldn't be salvaged. The drive home from St George yesterday was miserable. Pain seems to be coming under control today finally. I'll be on crutches for a couple months. I'm not sure how long it will take before I can get back to hiking. Right now I'm really just thankful that the rock didn't kill me. I easily could have fallen 200 feet to my death. Guess that's about all for now. I need to get back to some rest.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't know how to put it into words, but Rick is a good tough guy. I'm glad you came out of the situation as best as you could. Those kinda "adventures" tend to suck. We're all rooting for you while you recover! Cheers!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Ouch! Lets hope for a full recovery.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's to a speedy and full recovery, Rick. Plenty of outrageous dayhikes and canyons still to be conquered!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Intense stuff.....what a scary surprise to you, but you hung in there...awesome. When your finished with your recovery, feel free to put some dynamite in the boulder and blow it to pieces.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Thanks for posting Alan. So glad to hear that what could have been, did not happen. If you see this Rick, i wish you a complete and speedy recovery. :) Take care.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Here's to a speedy recovery, Rick!

Since we're on the subject, here's another:

Sorry lilbitmo, gonna out you:

I was decending a riverbed wall/slope that was 100 feet tall at about 75 degree angle I placed my uphill hand on a very large boulder inbedded in the wall of the slope, as I stepped downward leaning into the hill the boulder and all if t...he surrounding dirt came loose, causing a cascading effect of toumbling rocks, dirt and other crap which knocked my feet loose from the stance I had, thus causing me to fall into the hill and start a rapid slide downward bouncing as I went on my left buttocks and knee, at one point I was airbourne for 8 to 10 feet, bouncing again on my left side I rolled left and reached out to with my right hand to slow down my decent, at this point a very large boulder with sharp edge landed directly on my left ring finger crushing/shearing it almost completely off from the top knuckle upward, it even sheared the bone off cleanly as well. I came to a stop some 35 to 40 feet from where it all started, my hand was bleeding fairly heavily and the finger was just hanging there, my friend Sam worked his way down the slope from another angle and did a quick first aid wrap with gauze and tape - Thanks Sam.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Wishing you fast healing Rick. We haven't met, but we know a lot of the same people. I think they'll all tell you the same thing - that injuries might seem like they'll take forever to heal, but that you'll be back out there before you know it. I'm glad it wasn't worse, and I hope to actually meet you in a canyon someday!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Zach wrote:I was decending a riverbed wall/slope........the finger was just hanging there
Where was this at?
Zach

Post by Zach »

That was an excerpt from Patrick's experience this weekend. I think he was attempting the south ridge of baldy
simonov

Post by simonov »

Jesus, I think I'll stick to shooting guns. It's a lot safer.
Nunc est bibendum
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

So Rick "Clark" Kent is human after all! Seriously though, Rick is a source of inspiration and awe to many mountaineers in California and
beyond. For instance, he once climbed Mt. Baldy from Manker Flat five times in one day. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Regarding Lilbitmo, his accident happened behind Snow Crest Lodge while descending to the wash on route to the South Ridge of Mt. Baldy.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

For real? Cool!

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Wow. Now that's some serious 'rehab'....good stuff.