Stockton Flat - Baldy Notch - Better Route?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Any better option than the 4 mile fireroad to ascend from Stockton Flat to Baldy Notch? Nice ridges or gullies?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Try Coldwater Canyon from Coldwater Trail Camp! A tad east of your destination, but I don't care :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL no, screw you asshole!!!!!

I keed, I keed. Here, for you: http://www.summitpost.org/route/629905/ ... Ridge.html

Modify to feet your needs, Amerikan. That weell deposit you west of capitalist pig (insanely overpriced) lodge at notch.

I think that's pretty much yer only option.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

hmm interesting. I was thinking of finding the quickest way from Manker to Stockton. think the additional climbing up to teh ridge would be worth it time wise?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

think it's feasible going up this ridge from the ski lift?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:think it's feasible going up this ridge from the ski lift?
It can be done; a couple of sections look ugly -- steeper than Register Ridge.

So what's the deal? What's the connection between Stockton and Manker? Got some kind of epic planned going up from Manker over some high stuff over to Blue Ridge then swinging over towards Gobbler's Knob and then down into Stockton? Do tell.

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

you so smart Jim :)

but I was thinking counterclockwise. not sure best way to get up Gobbler's knob, but there are some options.

don't need to take this ridge route, just trying to cut miles. maybe just take the use trail under ski lift, then hike up to Taco's ridge and down.

my motto "less miles, better experience" :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You can drive nearly to the top of Gobblers Knob. I wouldn't do it in a Civic, but a Subaru or whatever car with a bit more clearance would do great. That said, not sure if they've got that road open yet because of the Bighorn Fire or whatever that fire was that hit that area.

Jim's ACME mapping accurately shows my route.

Your ACME route looks easy. We stayed on the final spur to the left, not the right, as I believe it might've cliffed out into complete crap rock. My route ends at the parking spot where 3n06 turns south and becomes Baldy Road, which hits the gate a few hundred feet later.
Bill

Post by Bill »

TacoDelRio wrote:That said, not sure if they've got that road open yet because of the Bighorn Fire or whatever that fire was that hit that area.
The road was open as of last week from Lone Pine Canyon side.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yay! There ya go, Ze. Just do that.
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Follow-up questions:

Zé, have you done this loop yet?

Any thoughts on creative routes from Gobbler's Knob to Center Mt? The HPS route is to the west of Center Mt, but what about going directly up the ridge from the 3N31/Stockton Flat Rd intersection, then heading west along the ridge to Center Mt? Has anyone done this?

What about Center Mt to Wright Mt? You could return to Gobbler's Knob and hike west on the PCT, or walk to Wrightwood, then head up the Acorn Trail. A more direct route heads up Slover Canyon. Google Maps shows a Blue Ridge Truck Trail heading up this canyon, but the USGS topo and Tom Harrison has nothing there. Is anything there?[/list][/list]
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

haven't done it, thought about those options. looks like a use trail on ridge east of Circle. just about getting up there.

I think you can make out the old road bed (bing maps claims its a rd still) and least up to where the canyon gets steep. probably not bad cross country up to PCT