Baldy Endurance Test

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Hey guys,

I was reading about a few guys who have started climbing Mountains from their "true" bases and not driving up to a trailhead. I currently leave in Claremont, about 20 miles (I’m guestimating) from the Peak of Mt. Baldy. I have a fall break from school coming up, and I want to do a “Dorm to Peak” hike. Starting at where I am, around 300ft. elevation, and going up to the top of Baldy, then back. I don’t know how long this is supposed to take, two days? Maybe three? Any suggestions for length? And secondly, any takers? It’s always funner to go with company. Ask me if you need more details, but I’m still in the process of fleshing this out so whoever comes with is a part of the planning process.

Cheers
TC
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

To add, I think we can do it faster than my proposed times, look how fast these climbed San Jacinto:

http://waronterrornews.typepad.com/home ... -hike.html
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

CMC-OC wrote:I was reading about a few guys who have started climbing Mountains from their "true" bases and not driving up to a trailhead. I currently leave in Claremont, about 20 miles (I’m guestimating) from the Peak of Mt. Baldy. I have a fall break from school coming up, and I want to do a “Dorm to Peak” hike. Starting at where I am, around 300ft. elevation, and going up to the top of Baldy, then back. I don’t know how long this is supposed to take, two days? Maybe three? Any suggestions for length? And secondly, any takers? It’s always funner to go with company. Ask me if you need more details, but I’m still in the process of fleshing this out so whoever comes with is a part of the planning process.
Just a suggestion -- Richard Piotrowski did a series of "sea to summit" trips in which he bicycled from home (Venice at the time) to various trail heads and then hiked to a summit. Baldy was one of them. My son was inspired by those trips and did a bike/hike up Baldy last year. In his case, he biked one day, hiked the next, then biked back.

The Cactus to Clouds hike from Palm Springs to San Jacinto and back to the tram is getting quite popular. It is a nice one because it is all on trail.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/index.php
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What Alan said.

You should bike from your place to Manker, then hike up. It would be done in a day, even if it's your first time and therefore, your slowest time (if you do it several times).

I tried to do this on-foot in 2003 when I was unfamiliar with Baldy. My route had me go up to Sunset Truck Trail, over to Sunset Peak, down to Cow Canyon Saddle, down into Cow Canyon, and up Bighorn Ridge. Needless to say, that didn't go. :-) Only made it to Colver Peak. This was a military-related exercise, so no bike, full gear (50-80lbs), weapon (trainer, not real), etc etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

TacoDelRio wrote:What Alan said.

You should bike from your place to Manker, then hike up. It would be done in a day, even if it's your first time and therefore, your slowest time (if you do it several times).

I tried to do this on-foot in 2003 when I was unfamiliar with Baldy. My route had me go up to Sunset Truck Trail, over to Sunset Peak, down to Cow Canyon Saddle, down into Cow Canyon, and up Bighorn Ridge. Needless to say, that didn't go. :-) Only made it to Colver Peak. This was a military-related exercise, so no bike, full gear (50-80lbs), weapon (trainer, not real), etc etc.
haha! just gonna add in Big Horn Ridge with the rest of it, crazy.

I thought about this with Baldy. Start in Padua Hills, climb up to Sunset Ridge Fire Rd and take that down to Cow Canyon Saddle. then easy option = hike to Bear Canyon Rd and up old baldy trail, or harder = hike up Lookout Mt then continue on ridge to Baldy. but neither way do I want to hike back down :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

In winter, Ze. ;-) During a storm.
CMC-OC

Post by CMC-OC »

Thanks for the help guys, I'll shoot y'all a post when I have the final details to see if anyone wants to come by.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Well Saturday was my 57th B'Day and I had a desire to be out in the hills per a long standing tradition. So I did something I've been contemplating for quite a while: I rode my bike from home to the church, hiked up and down Bear Canyon, and rode home.

Door to door it turned out to be 105 miles on the bike. And although I didn't begin the trip from the coast, my starting elevation was approximately 225'.

FWIW, bicycle shorts do not make good hiking pants!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Great trip!
EManBevHills wrote:FWIW, bicycle shorts do not make good hiking pants!
And vice versa.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

AlanK,

You are actually indirectly responsible for my madness...
If I hadn't seen your recent post, I might not have acted on the urge.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very cool, Eman!