Baldy Group Hike 4-5-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

There was a Whitney Portal Store Message Board group hike up Baldy yesterday. Several of the regulars from this board participated. These hikes are a great way to meet people from the boards. One can read all about it here.

tomcat_rc drove down from Ridgecrest for the hike. Unfortunately, his GPS got left behind on the summit. It is probably in the rock ring that is immediately to the east of the summit marker/sign. If anyone going up today finds it, here is a chance to be a Good Samaritan! And yes, the Ranger Station is getting notified too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I may head up soon. I have "Look IV GPS!" marked on my hand in permanent ink!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Taco -- I hope that your outing goes well. It sounds like a great adventure. Tom will be a friend for life if you find his GPS!

I am going to follow your idea and write "Look IV Enlightenment" on my hand for my next outing.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

My buddy and I got to the top about 9:30 this morning. I believe we were the first people there, and I didn't see a GPS anywhere. Though I didn't look around for one either. I wish I would have seen this before I left this morning, I could have looked for it. I did see Taco on my way down, hopefully he will find it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No dice, sorry. Looked through every crack in every rock ring on the summit, to no avail. :(
tomcat_rc

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks all for looking for my GPS - I feel like such a bone head sometimes. There were still groups going up as we were back at the ski hut so somebody on Saturday afternoon probably picked it up. It does have my name on the screen page and a track leading back to my house from the trail head. Let us hope that the person who found it is as good natured as you all. Let alone any finders fee reward to cover all hassle.

What a great hike yesterday and a chance to meet people who I have only seen post in the last couple years. The weather was fine and the conditions were fantastic. I am glad there was still enough snow to crampon up the bowl - although it is melting fast.

On a side note: hiking a southern sierra peak today with Hiker Laura(MooseTracks) - she had a rock give way underneath her. She slipped and caught herself. But the hand that braced the fall managed to slice on a rock and rip open her right hand near the first finger. After some triage we modified the plan. The rest of the group continued to bag the peak and Laura and I hiked out so she could get to a doctor for treatment. The doctors in Ridgecrest put 7 stitches in her hand and she is now headed home - ready for more adventure.

Long weekend and I am tired.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sorry to hear of Laura's injury. Good job getting her to the doctor!

Was great to meet you, Alan and everyone else up at the ski hut on Saturday. Hope your GPS finds its way home.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp -- It was good to meet you yesterday (finally). I feel like you, Jim, and I are practically neighbors.

Tom -- Sorry about the GPS, but I'll stay optimistic that someone found it and is honest enough to return it.

Sorry to hear about Laura's hand. I could be obnoxious and claim that she should have come to Baldy instead. But you did both, so she would have as well. So, I'll just say that I hope it heals fast. I do hope it wasn'y her scotch pouring hand. :roll:
tomcat_rc

Post by tomcat_rc »

Saturday was great conditions to crampon up the bowl - but it is melting fast and thin enough that I don't think I would wanted to have glisaded it.

summit photo:

rest of photos:http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/46 ... 6ct#P-1-15