Yucaipa Ridge Last Sunday

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
vbmatloff

Post by vbmatloff »

We did a car shuttle from the Vivian Creek parking to the Wildlands Conservancy at Bear Paw. A nice clear day for the most part, and temps stayed comfortable. From Mill Creek, we came up the canyon on the west side when we got to the fork, then scrambled up a short steep shoot to the ridge. I finally saw two sheep just before we scrambled up to the ridge. They weren't real close but it was still exciting. We did not see anyone else at all the entire day and thanks to Wildlands Conservancy, we made a nice loop.

Evan at the Wildlands Conservancy mentioned a ranger's dog was mauled by a bear :cry: earlier in the week as they were coming down the graded dirt road, so we were extra alert when we got to that area. We saw some fresh bear scat, but no bear. BTW, the dog lived :D but was in the vet hospital for a few days. You guys probably know about it than I do.

Here's a link to my photos http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... m7FuzZs2HG
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice! did you head up the ridge east of Camp Creek to little San G?

also you didn't get to Allen...did you descend back down between Birch and Cedar?
vbmatloff

Post by vbmatloff »

Ze, thanks, we had a great trip, and yes. We headed up east of Camp Creek, and I think we should have stayed on top of the ridge to the east instead of the canyon wash. The wash only has a little water flowing now, so we tried that instead. No, we did not come down between Birch and Cedar, we continued on west to the junction that goes to Allen. We exited via the service road below Allen Peak that goes through the private property of the Wildlands Conservancy - we had to get prior permission which was pretty easy to do. We left our shuttle in their parking lot is right where hwy 38 and the turnoff of Valley of the Falls.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Victor, great shots, flowers are nice and bright.

What's the time frame for the whole hike?

I'd like to do that hike when the weather's a little cooler.

:D
vbmatloff

Post by vbmatloff »

Thanks Patrick. Our time was much slower than you would be, I'm sure. First we went slower because of coming up through the wash instead of staying on the ridge from Mill Creek. Then, one of our party was a little slower as well. My GPS measured a total time of 11-1/2hrs including lunch and breaks, 15.4 miles, and about 4,350' climbing.

Great views from up there, I highly recommend it. :P
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I don't know if you would want to start on the ridge...I remember the HPS route description saying to start up the wash and then at some point go onto the ridge. I would agree - I came down the ridge and tried to continue down the ridge (past the point described) and it was covered in brush and poison oak.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

vbmatloff wrote:Thanks Patrick. Our time was much slower than you would be, I'm sure. First we went slower because of coming up through the wash instead of staying on the ridge from Mill Creek. Then, one of our party was a little slower as well. My GPS measured a total time of 11-1/2hrs including lunch and breaks, 15.4 miles, and about 4,350' climbing.

Great views from up there, I highly recommend it. :P
With a nice day I'd most likely do about the same time as I'd enjoy as much of the views as you did, I've been told that staying on the ridge is doable but tougher, in the snow it was hard to stay completely on the ridge and a little dangerous in some spots. Now Ze, Bluerail and Fern would most likely leave a cloud of dust as they are much faster than I am :wink:

What's next?

Thanks for the info on the trip :D
vbmatloff

Post by vbmatloff »

Ze, I think the HPS description does say to keep to the middle when you get to where the wash forks. It was pretty heavily wooded near the bottom and the wash looked pretty open, so we opted for that, then eventually had to slug up a lose scree slope.