Icehouse - Cucamonga - Bighorn - Chapman

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Sunday was a beautiful day in and around the Cucamonga Wilderness...

I hit the Icehouse Canyon trail early Sunday morning. One gentleman passed me just below the Saddle, and a young lady was trailing through to the summit. I crossed a quiet Icehouse Saddle around 0806. After gawking at a bunch of nearby Bighorn Sheep, I summited Cucamonga at 0924. Descending, I was spying the ridge that runs up Bighorn from the 7654 saddle. There turns out to be a terrific game trail up the otherwise steep ridge. I was careful to tread lightly in this wilderness area. The Bighorn Peak summit was vacant at 1125, though the register indicated some earlier visitors. I followed the trail down through Kelly's Camp, back to Icehouse Saddle. As is my usual M.O. I took the Chapman Trail back in order to avoid the throngs on the canyon floor. As an aside; I go out of my way to yield trail to other hikers. That crowd in the last mile of trail between the Chapman cutoff and the parking area showed no such courtesy.

ImageImage
Empty Icehouse parking area, around 0615.

Anyone know what this mine-like thingy is on the Cucamonga Peak trail? It appears to have two entrances, with a pile of wire rope outside.

Ontario Peak as it wraps around Cucamonga Canyon.

Looking towards Lytle Creek's middle fork from the Bighorn-Cucamonga saddle.

There were six to eight of these Ovis canadensis nelsoni hanging out around Cucamonga's summit trail. They scattered as I approached

Register on Cucamonga Peak.

Views were amazing yesterday. Channel Islands were easily visible (in other pictures).

Cucamonga Peak's massif-mate.

The switchbacks of 7W04.4 are plainly visible from Bighorn's southeast ridge.

Cucamonga Canyon, Isla Santa Catalina, and everything in between.

Register on Bighorn, with San Antonio in the background.

Mount San Antonio from Bighorn - Ontario ridge

My Jeep and I graciously thank Mr. Simonov, et al. for the stickers on Bighorn.

GPS track and elevation plots.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Awesome photos! The only time I ever saw sheep, I didn't have my camera w/me. D'OH!!! that was quite a long slog, congrats!
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

How steep is the ridge going up Bighorn at the Bighorn-Cucamonga saddle? Is it easier ascending or descending?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

blueshammer wrote:How steep is the ridge going up Bighorn at the Bighorn-Cucamonga saddle? Is it easier ascending or descending?
Prolly depends on your knees! :lol:

I for one like to ascend the steep sh*& and descend the trail. When I was over that way not too long ago it looked better to ascend IMO

Matt
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Gain / loss is around 770 feet in 2,856 feet of trail, or ~ 27% . In terms of exertion it's probably easier to descend. Doing so would probably scar the sandy terrain pretty easily.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Nice photos, especially of the sheep! Nice hike too!! :D
Elwood wrote:As an aside; I go out of my way to yield trail to other hikers. That crowd in the last mile of trail between the Chapman cutoff and the parking area showed no such courtesy.
I'm sure it'll do no good, but i'll call the Ranger Station in Baldy Village. Maybe they will post a sign about trail etiquette. Last year Shin contacted the head of the Korean hiking association in the U.S. to mention the issue but i've seen the lack of right-of-way disregarded by all hikers of every race. I'm sure it's not an intentional act but a case of ignorance. People need to be educated; courtesy unfortunately is not instinctive
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I believe that's an old mine. I've not gone into it, as I'm somewhat uncomfortable of such things. An illogical fear, I guess, so I figure I'll give it a shot next time. Might end up being a nice bivy spot...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Elwood, just in case you didn't hear I got two new lab's as my oldest dog finally passed away from "Cushings" disease, anyway the two labs have been named "Jake and Elwood" one is black the other brown, two brothers that are 8 months old, so they will be going out when the tempt's get a little better. We will call the one "Woody" for short, they will never have to sing the blues with me :wink:

Great pictures. :D
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Hey Lilbitmo!

Congratulations on the puppies Jake and the Elwood! I had a pair of namesake cats, though only Elwood remains. It's a real heart breaker to lose one and I can honestly sympathize. I hope to see the three of you on the trail sometime soon.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

A few years ago, while laboring up Cucamonga's switchbacks, I noticed that Bighorn's southeast ridge looked very hikable. So, we tried it the next week. Navigation was simple: aim for the high point. We did follow a game trail for a while until it started winding around the mountain instead of going over the summit. For the most part, the footing was decent and the slope not too steep. I have always found uphill cross country travel to be easier than downhill for traction and stability. Going uphill, I lean forward, my heels dig in, and I motor up. Going downhill, it seems that my feet want to fly out from under me. Nice trip report. Thanks for posting.