Question about Hiking Boots?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
asdfzxcv

Post by asdfzxcv »

I plan to get some nice hiking/backpacking boots in the very near future and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions.

-Is there an advantage in buying boots that are full grain or nu buck leather? Or is it just personal choice?

-One day I hope do some hiking in the winter months in snowy conditions so I was wondering if you need special boots (ie-mountaineering boots) to use crampons or will a good backpacking boot suffice?

I have done some research and am going to go to REI and Adventure 16 this weekend and check out what they have on their shoe wall. Plan to defiantly look at the Asolo TPS 520 GTX Hiking Boots. They had several good reviews on REI's website. Any input is greatly appreciated.
pilot

Post by pilot »

Can't answer the first question about leather, but a good backpacking boot will work with crampons if you get the crampons with straps instead of the step-in kind with a wire bail, which are designed for mountaineering boots. Just make sure the boot is waterproof and is reasonably stiff. You need it stiff for the crampons to have a good foundation and not get all wobbly on you, especially if you have to kick steps or front point. A plain leather backpacking boot won't have much insulation against the cold, though.
Taco

Post by Taco »

What he said.

Also, one can wear less-stiff boots with classic/strap crampons. I prefer using flexible boots whenever I'm not doing any technical climbing. Easier stuff (technically speaking) like Baldy Bowl can be done with these.

With stiff mountaineering boots, I'm fine unless it's a long relatively-level slog. About 12+ miles in, my feet start to scream in pain from the slapping-down on the ground. Flexible boots match the natural motion of yer feets, so this isn't an issue.

Always make sure you test fit the boots to crampons and vice versa before you buy either component.
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Full grain leather vs. nubuck (where the surface is smoothed out and brushed? I believe) are not that much different when you're considering the local monutains; both will work OK. Both can be treated with a water repellant leather conditioner (nikiwax or beeswax) and be fairly waterproof. There are some winter boots made of high tech materials (Gortex, etc), but I'm not sure how well they work. You don't need plastic boots in the local L.A. mountains.

As for warmth, its not the thickness of the boot, but how much the boot/sock(s) combo you wear works to keep you're feet warm. I always buy boots a little large so I can put on an extra sock in mid-winter and still be able to flex my feet. Wearing gaiters with boots helps keep your feet warm, too.

Most important is to find something that fits comfortably. Hiking all day in uncomfortable boots is miserable and can cause injuries & foot problems. Always buy the more comfortable boot, even if it weighs a little more.

Crampons? There are a variety of tpyes out there and you should be able to find some that'll fit the boots you buy (there's even types that fit running shoes!). As stated in a previous post, try them on the boots in the store, then again at home (with no sales person's assistance).