Register Ridge with a Norma Sighting

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Went up RR with my long time CA hiking/climbing/skiing bud, Will.
Started late, at 5:00, and was on top after several hydration, one sustenance and one rock balancing break by 8:00. Ran into So.BayMark from the WPSMB at the cutoff to RR, but he didn't have enough water to join us.

Hung out at what we think was the Aetherian power point for a bit along the way, and enjoyed 1/2 hour of solo time on the summit! WHAT A CONCEPT! 8)
Only saw one other fellow (who started @3:30 and was also returning via RR) until we ran into Mark again on our way down the trade route.

We left the summit around 8:30 and shortly thereafter got to witness Norma on her return to the mountains. :D She was with Patrick and Mark who were greatly enjoying being part of her special day. I couldn't return to the summit with them because I had company coming for dinner and had to ride my bike home from Ontario. A true confession though: I pulled a Rosie Ruiz on my return, as I shortened my ride by 13 miles by hopping on the light rail in Sierra Madre! As it turned out, I didn't save any time....

Pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/EManBevHill ... directlink
norma r

Post by norma r »

EManBevHills wrote:A true confession though: I pulled a Rosie Ruiz on my return, as I shortened my ride by 13 miles by hopping on the light rail in Sierra Madre! As it turned out, I didn't save any time....
Haha! Not only that, you missed out on the burned calories the additional peddling would have insured. That's the crazy way my mind works!... next to being thrilled to be back out hiking and running into hiking buddies, i was so happy to be burning calories again. Bring on the dark chocolate!

EMan, Hope it's OK if i tailgate on your thread. It felt sooo good to be back out hiking again and i'm so happy to report that my foot feels great a day later. It's been 7 weeks and 7 has always been a luck number for me! Thanks to Patrick for joining me on the hike as he is nursing a torn hamstring. I didn't know how strong i'd be, so i hesitated in asking anyone to come along in case i was doggin' it up the trail. I sucked a bit of wind after not having hit elevation much in the last 7 weeks, but it sure was a beautiful day to be sucking wind on Baldy. Perfect temps for a hike. Great to run into Ernie and South Bay Mark. I met a number of people who were enjoying their first Baldy hike and told them about this forum. Some pix from the day...

Ran into Mark Irving at the hut and the three of us continued on for the day

Cheers to the healed foot!

Patrick paying homage to Taco

We broke trail on the way back to investigate the USMC Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat wreckage from 51 years ago. Very interesting. Took lots of photos.

Stopped for a pit stop on the way back

Holy Crapper!

That was a temporary location, but it seems it may have found a more permanent one. ;)

Rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... PostFootFx#
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

First off, thanks Norma for the invite back to the mountains, I've been nursing a "hamstring pull" not quite a tear that I got playing tournament softball two weeks ago in Pismo Beach - when will I learn that I'm not that young anymore :?: - anyway that was a great day on the mountain, temps were perfect - Norma was her usually "chipper self" and Mark joined us from the Ski Hut up and then back down, good chance to get to know him, thanks for the laughs Mark.
The leg feels great today so I think it's well on it's way to being back to normal.

Eman, you are the man, riding out the day before from West LA to Ontario, then doing RR and then attempting to go back from Ontario to West LA on a bike after all that is not easy, even if you caught a ride on the train it's the rest of that that is impressive.
Mark of South Bay, next time we'll meet at the summit and talk but nice to meet you from a distance.

Lastly, I had no idea that the "Ice Pirates" ever attempted to "repel that down canyon spot in the Ski Hut Crapper" you guys are the man, that's some $hitty business :wink: :roll:
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice TR(s) and Pix. Great to see Norma back out on her feet again...

Eispiraten! :D Love it!

Tracie
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Norma R.,
It is nice to hear that you are back on trail. Your feet are much stronger than before but take care.
Hope to see you on the trail.
Shin
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's a creative spot for those stickers...