Relay for life American Cancer Society.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

A couple of years ago my wife 'drafted' me to participate in the local American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Basically, this is an event where cancer survivors, their family and friends set up at a local park and walk/run a closed course relay for 24 hours. I had no idea what to expect, however, our 1 hour slot was at 2am!! I whined like a little baby all the way to the park until we arrived. However, once I arrived the whining stopped. To say the relay/event touched me is an understatement. Marking every foot of the relay path are candles in bags that have been decorated and bare the name of someone lost. Every step reminded me how lucky I was and how fortunate those long lost were to have people who loved them so much. To my point; I'd like to gauge interest in the local hiking community to conduct something similar to the Relay...only 'hiker centric'. I'd like to set up a hike concurrent with the Relay For Life (June 12 ish, 2011) up the Ice House Canyon Trail to the summit of Cucamonga Peak (southern California Upland area) and place our candles (or lights) on the peak that overlooks the entire valley. I'm doing it either way, however, since this is a fund raiser to the American Cancer Society, I'd like to hear from other interested hikers and sponsors.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Can't say for certain where I'll be next June 11th but I'm interested in participating.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We are slow as shit hikers, but we will be happy to bring up the rear for this one. Just so it is a Saturday or Sunday.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

I am interested. Please post a little closer to the date.
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

Yes, I post closer to the date and occasionally post some updates. Please spread the word.