Monrovia Peak: 03-15-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Last month I was foiled by snow and ice conditions within a half mile of the peak. 5 weeks later I figured the snow had melted and I was right. Reached the peak at about 9:30a just as the clouds started engulfing the mountains. When I got to the peak it was sunny and clear (especially to the north) but within minutes I was in the clouds and the temps had dropped about 10 degrees or more.

There was no snow when I was up there in the morning, but a storm that rolled in this afternoon has probably dusted the peaks, so conditions won't be the same tomorrow.

A few pics...

Travis' register entry from 7/7/7 last year...

Clouds rolling in over Rankin Peak...

Dead bird (some kind of hawk) on fire road - wasn't there on the way up...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sucks about the bird. We got snow, so yeah, give it a shot tomorrow. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was in the Chantry Flats/Big Santa Anita Canyon area today. The snow level was low, maybe 3000 to 3500' but minimal accumulation. Saw some really cool rainbows. Was definitely cold. Probably topped out in the 40's. Supposed to be down to mid 30's at 2500' overnight.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

*pumps fist*
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

TacoDelRio wrote:We got snow, so yeah, give it a shot tomorrow. :wink:
Yeah, I don't think so, lol. I'm pretty much done with this peak.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

did you pass up the homeless guy? Or take the long way up?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I took the long way up and down. I hate brushy steep ridges - I don't mind brush and I don't mind steep but I don't like them together! I probably made it to the top faster anyway - 10 miles in 3.5 hours - and I wanted to make it back down before the rain started.
bechtt

Post by bechtt »

is still there. I went up the week before via the ridge. Lots of ticks in the brush. Dead hawk was there a week earlier as well (descended via the road).
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

bechtt wrote:Dead hawk was there a week earlier as well (descended via the road).
Don't know how I missed it on the way up. Oh well. A falconer I know said it looks like a breeding Redtail. Looks like a Cooper's to me, but i defer.

This must be your register entry...