Mormon Rocks Climbing History

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Anyone here know much about Mormon Rocks, as it pertains to rock climbing, rappelling, and all that nonsense?

Also, I seem to remember someone saying it's now off limits to climbing (whatever that's ever meant), but I can't find any info anywhere on it. I'm sure I can call the Ranger Station there and they'll tell me it is, and that it's impossible to reach without crampons or it's flooded or something.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I went there with a natural history class at Citrus College last fall and "the kids" were climbing all over the rocks. There were no signs, and the professor is well connected with FS and plays by the rules, but he didn't stop them...

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm assuming they don't mind "scrambling" (no rope/gear), maybe they don't want anyone putting in bolts/fixed anchors?

Thanks Greg!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I don't know much about climbing, but that sandstone is very soft. I don't know that it would hold an anchor.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

There are a variety of anchors up there. From what I've heard, one must be careful during and after major precipitation, as the rock softens.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Taco,

I thought I was recording this last night but somehow I managed to screw it up --- anyways, there was a great show on the History Channel about these guys climbing mountain faces in the Himalayas to reach VERY difficult to reach caves, some of them being spiritual shrines.

These guys were decked out with some serious climbing gear --- but how in the hell did people climbed [safely] way back when, I have no idea. I remember hearing something about ladders but I wasn't really paying too much attention because I thought I was recording the dang thing :oops:

Anyways, maybe you've seen the show and know what I'm talking about - if not, hopefully I can figure out what it was called and if/when it will air again - it was some heavy stuff!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Close-Up of the same outcrop that the kids are climbing on...

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Just for fun...

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

outwhere wrote:Taco,

I thought I was recording this last night but somehow I managed to screw it up --- anyways, there was a great show on the History Channel about these guys climbing mountain faces in the Himalayas to reach VERY difficult to reach caves, some of them being spiritual shrines.

These guys were decked out with some serious climbing gear --- but how in the hell did people climbed [safely] way back when, I have no idea. I remember hearing something about ladders but I wasn't really paying too much attention because I thought I was recording the dang thing :oops:

Anyways, maybe you've seen the show and know what I'm talking about - if not, hopefully I can figure out what it was called and if/when it will air again - it was some heavy stuff!

Probably some old school aid setup. Pitons and fixed ropes and ladders and all that.