Where the heck is Mt Chapman in relation to Timber Mountain?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

A Buddy and I went hiking last weekend through IceHouse Canyon with the intent to go to Timber Mountain, but instead we wound up on Mt. Chapman. Still plenty of snow up there at the time.

I couldn't find Mt. Chapman on my topo map, so I was wondering where it is located relative to Timber mountain. Anybody have any ideas?

:?:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

its the same thing. don't ask me why, but it is.
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

That's good to know. THANKS! 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Chapman is an older name for Timber. There's a metal gizmo embedded in a tree there that says "Chapman" on it. Chapman was a person who was pretty well known in that are if I remember correctly. The upper trail in Icehouse Canyon, the one that goes through Cedar Glen camp is called the "Chapman Trail," so I guess he didn't lose out even though they renamed "his" peak to "Timber Mtn."
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

they named it timber mtn so it would be the catchy 3 t's trail
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

Thanks HJ and Dudley. Somehow, I knew the people in this group would have access to some history that I did not have access to.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:they named it timber mtn so it would be the catchy 3 t's trail
Whammo.

I also believe Thunder was Harwood, but that would meddle with the 3-T's idea, so they set about renaming it Thunder.

Actual Mt Harwood is more interesting, anyway. 8)
dhstein31

Post by dhstein31 »

Harwood is a peak ---on the fake backbone from Baldy Notch.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No comprende? :?:
He219

Post by He219 »

dhstein31 wrote:Harwood is a peak ---on the fake backbone from Baldy Notch.
I always understood the Devil's Backbone to be the entire route from San Antonio via Harwood to the Notch.
If anything, Harwood's got the back to the backbone.
Nothing fake about it ..
:wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Some people, or so I've heard, call the Devil's Backbone portion of the Notch to Baldy hike the "fake" DB because of the "other Devil's Backbone" that one goes over when one comes in via Pine and Dawson. Apparently some feel that the backbone on the northern approach is the real DB when compared to the DB on the Notch approach.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

One thing for sure -- the Devil's in the details. :D
dhstein31

Post by dhstein31 »

The backbone from the notch to the summit -is barely a spur of a spine in comparison to the spine going up Pine Mountain from Wrightwood enroute to Baldy. On the Harwood portion of the BP one would have difficulty falling in summer conditions.

BTW hiking from the Village to Village this weekend - Wrightwood to Baldy Village.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Agreed on that, DHLStein.

Harwood is my lady, though. Can't let anyone insult her regardless of logic! 8)
He219

Post by He219 »

dhstein31 wrote:The backbone from the notch to the summit -is barely a spur of a spine in comparison to the spine going up Pine Mountain from Wrightwood enroute to Baldy. On the Harwood portion of the BP one would have difficulty falling in summer conditions.
Granted, but I thought that route was called the 'Northern Backbone'.
dhstein31 wrote:BTW hiking from the Village to Village this weekend - Wrightwood to Baldy Village.
Awesome! Have fun and be safe.
Take lots of pix please!
:D
pilot

Post by pilot »

On the USGS topo map, the Devils Backbone is referred to as the section between Harwood and the ski resort. So that's the official line, at least.

The spine to Pine Mtn does have a section that is steeper, more exposed and more like class 2/3 but I think the DBB feels more like a "Backbone" because the views are more expansive on either side and there are less trees. Pine Mtn has more of a hairy back. Harwood shaves her legs. You could get killed on either spine if you really wanted to.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Speaking of pilots and the backbone shown in pilot's pic, I was on that spine about 17 or 18 years ago when a fighter plane (forgive me but I don't know an F15 from a B52) came roaring up the canyon on the west side and flew what seemed a couple hundred feet directly overhead heading east. It was kind of windy so I didn't hear him until he was just about on me, then the sound just hit me like a bomb blast just as I was on the narrowest section of the backbone. Didn't even have time to shit my pants so i just flipped him the bird (in a friendly way) and kept on hiking. It was awesome to say the least! :D
pilot

Post by pilot »

Oh, that was you? Sorry about that dude--good thing I didn't light the afterburners :D

I've also been buzzed once--while on top of Baden-Powell. But this plane was much quieter and more graceful. It was a glider and all you could hear was the whistle of air flowing over the wings. He circled the summit a couple of times and was close enough that I could actually see his face. It was way cool.

There's a glider port down in the desert just north of there. They get towed up and fly the ridge lift off the mountains or they go looking for thermals. One pilot signed the Baden-Powell summit register and said he flew over it many times but only now decided to hike it.