Icehouse Canyon warnings: Bears and Scum

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked to Timber Mountain today, Saturday, June 19. When we got our permit, the guy at the counter warned us that there were two nuisance bears active. One was at the trailhead and the other at the saddle. Some morons have been feeding them and now they think that every hiker will give them a meal. We did not see either bear. Someone posted this sign at the trailhead:

It was a beautiful day to be out hiking. The yuccas and snow plants are at their peak.

Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Welp found one, or at least a baby of one. It was roaming the cars of Manker Flats around 3 PM today. When I walked down from Baldy it was in someones open jeep and dozens of people were standing around. They all scattered, bear got out and went around looking at cars.

Literally walked right up to me and was about to sniff my pants but I scared it off as best I could.

Would not like to run into him when hes not a cub any longer and 400 pounds if hes this accustomed to humans already.

Edit: P.S. Do roll up your windows completely, it tried to get into a ford expedition who had its windows down.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I hope people realize the damage they're doing to our mountains by feeding our bears. :(
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

A bear that age - outta curiosity, would mama bear be that far off? And if so, would it attack the people in the Manker parking lot if they were not in close contact with the cub?

I'm still baffled about the group of hikers on the Mt Wilson/Winter Creek? trail and the more-than-friendly cub they were hanging around with :shock:

I remember when I was young and extra stupid - staying in Tuolumne Meadows, I essentially left an entire grocery store in the back of my truck [w/ a camper shell] overnight. The Cheez-itz and Ding Dongs were practically falling out of the window ----- that night, about 15 cars got the hell ripped out of them --- it was a long walk to the end of the lot, but it was my lucky morning cause not a hint of a bear around my truck :o --- some of the owners said there was no food in their cars at all, yet the bears tore up everything to discover nothing.

The rest of the nights, those cars were in the back of my mind...

So true Taco - as cute as those cubs can be, these bird brains have got to find a way to hold back --- and not throw the bears portions of their pastrami sandwiches!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I was left wondering where mama bear was at as I drove down the mountain, chose not to hang around. I saw no sign of any other bear, but jut tons of people staring at the bear.

Poor bear is going to end up getting killed because of this
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The bear problem is one issue, but I am sure that humans are "the scum" mentioned in the flier. The Angeles has had a problem with car break-ins for years. Of course, when the Adventure Pass "test program" was initiated, they came up with a really bad alliteration to justify charging us to use our own land: "When bad guys have to pay, they go away." We all know how well that has worked.